Please share your experiences, Fiji, Tahiti, Bora Bora...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCU5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

First off, thank you in advance for your comments, I enjoy this board thoroughly!

I am planning on organizing a dive trip in Sep/Oct of this year and am looking to hear your experiences and thoughts/comments about the following destinations:

Fiji

Tahiti, Bora Bora and surrounding Islands

There will be four of us and while I have advanced open water, the others will have just open water certs.

Also, input on the costs and dive experiences would be greatly appreciated.

We are also looking at Sipadan, Bali and Hawaii so any comparative views would also be great.

Thank you!
Jim

Rangiora and especially Fakarava are some of the best diving I have done for Pelagic's. When I was in Sipadan around 30' vis for the 2 weeks I was there....all I really saw were Turtles...yawn....Bali very under rated diving small to medium stuff...great diving...need to combine with East Timor, Lembeh or Raja!....Hawaii...I have dove Oahu, Maui and the Big Island. Diving just Ok...clear waters not much to see...except the Manta dive in Kona...worth the trip.....enjoy!

Sipadan : great diving, like travelnsj says turtles and whitetips will bore you to death, but in the meantime, on the two trips I went there, I saw one hammerhead, Mantas, HUUUUGE schools of trevallies, really something you have no idea about, barracudas schools.. and also combined with Mabul, it's the only place I know where you can spot big pelagics like hammerheads early morning, shoals of fish at noon, pygmy seahorse in the afternoon and mating mandarins at twilight.

Bali comes close second, the problem is that it can get REALLY crowded at some places, like Tulamben Liberty wreck from 10AM...
Very nice pelagic dives in the Candi Dasa area for sharks or mola mola, but watch out for the currents, I've dived the place known as "the toilet", you can really feel it when "they" flush it :D ... Nusa Penida is good for Mantas and Mola mola too.. again fierce curents...

Can't help for Hawaii. For Tahiti/Moorea, that was too long ago and snorkeling only, not impressed though... but corals are not French Polynesia forte.

Thank you very much for the feedback guys.

Bali: Is it still worldclass? You mentioned diver traffic, does it impact the diving and are there enough sites for a week's worth of diving, with a day or two here and there to explore topland? Also, I've heard the water temps can be on the chilly side in Sep/Oct, is this something to be worried about?

Sipadan: I must admit, in addition to the world class diving, the Kapalai Beach Resort looks great. It is a bit more expensive then Bali (which seems cheaper than many other places).

Shall we keep Hawaii as a back up plan for the time being?

Any more comments on Fiji, French Polynesia?

Thank you!
Jim

Jim do Bali! I have gone the last 2 years love it. I have dove around the world...I like Bali. It can get crowded in certain areas but your DM will take you to another spot to avoid the crowds. Water temps have been 81 to 83 in Sept and Oct.

I stayed at Kapalai....liked it....just thought the diving was medicore....in comparing Hawaii to these other spots you are talking about....really no comparison....except the Manta dive in Kona.

Thank you very much for the feedback guys.

Bali: Is it still worldclass? You mentioned diver traffic, does it impact the diving and are there enough sites for a week's worth of diving, with a day or two here and there to explore topland? Also, I've heard the water temps can be on the chilly side in Sep/Oct, is this something to be worried about?
September might be the warmest waters in Bali, but it really depends on where you dive, for instance a skinsuit would be ok for Amed on the east side but thermoclines will freeze you in Candi Dasa or Nusa Penida...

Crowds : avoid staying in the Kuta/Sanur or Ubud area. Settle the closest you can from the dive sites : Padang Bai area is quite a good trade off if you're not looking for luxury, it's not far from Candi Dasa, 1h drive from Tulamben and just in front of Nusa Penida a few miles off the coast.. hence you can easily get around, besides that it's located in a small village, and not that far from Bai topside attractions, not like Tulamben which is quite dead once dive time is finished.
Tulamben and Amed shoudl be dived early morning when the Kuta/sanur divers are still on the road, you'll see them kitting up on the beach when you're out of your dive.. then it will be time to have lunch in Candi Dasa for instance and dive Gili Tepekong in the afternoon, few divers go there because it's an advanced dive... and you could spend your week like this, just make sure you don't deal with a "money driven only" dive company.

As for the time you could spend on the dive sites : you could stay a month just diving 3 times a day in Bali, tere are lots of intersting areas, all of them providing different kind of diving. The diving is usally split between the following areas : Menjangan, Amed/Tulamben, Candi dasa/Padang Bai and Nusa Penida. (Forget about Sanur diving).
Each area would deserve five days.

Sipadan: I must admit, in addition to the world class diving, the Kapalai Beach Resort looks great. It is a bit more expensive then Bali (which seems cheaper than many other places).
Mmmh... well, I wouldn't care staying on Kapalai which is just a sandbar... I have stayed twice on Sipadan island before it closed and also stayed twice on Mabul, probably this is a reason why my Sipadan stay made me appreciate the place more than Travelnsj does (I think I dived quite a LOT of places too but Sipadan comes high on my list).
Unfortunately Sipadan island is closed for sleeping now. I would rather recommend Borneo Divers, SWV or SMART on Mabul, with a less isolated feel than Kapalai. Not much more to do, but at least there's a small village behind where I used to meet the people and take photos.

If you love macro it'll be hard to beat Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai. If you're not into macro life, then there's several places that are much better to go to (like Bali!).

Myself, I spend the entire dive pointing my camera at some tiny thing in a fan, on a sea cucumber, or on the coral, so Sipadan and surrounding is where I prefer to go...

Good diving!

Tahiti / Bora Bora / Ragiroa - VERY EXPENSIVE. You can save on costs by staying at "pensions" (bed & breakfast) rather than hotels. Rangiroa has some great diving for large schools of fish and sharks. Bora Bora has Mantas.

Fiji - If you want to do some land activities, I would recomend staying at the Uprising Resort near Pacific Harbor. Otherwise you can do a resort on Beqa Island with unlimited shore diving on top of boat dives. Must do THE Shark feed dive in Beqa Lagoon (bulls, lemon, silver tip, white tip, gray, black tip, and very good chance at a tiger). We also did the Aggressor liveaboard - great soft corals.

Fiji has great diving at prices from low moderate to ultra luxury. Diving is different depending on where in the islands you are staying. Pricing for airfare from LAX, 7 nights accom in a GardenView Bure (3.5-4 star), Meals, 10 dives and Taxes and Surcharges is in the ballpark of $2700 per person, based on double occupancy.

Fiji has two seasons - Wet and Wetter. It is a tropical paradise for a reason - RAIN! The mean daytime temperatures vary little between summer (Nov-Feb) and winter (April-Aug) - about 10 deg F. What changes is the humidity - ultra high in Dec and Jan. Water clarity is probably best in the cooler months - but the big critters like the warmer, nutrient rich water, so Nov of Feb would be a good compromise.

You can get more details on different levels of accommodation by calling 877-U-GO-DIVE.

Cheers,

Mark Augustine
Dolphin Destiny Adventures

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom