Please shed some light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bharucha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I was wondering if someone could recommend a good underwater torch for night diving in 15m viz.......should be tough as these will be rental torches......was checkin out the princeton tec tec 40....price is right how good is the torch?

Thanx for the tip.....but its a little too pricey for rental torches as a personal dive light maybe....do u have any info on the princeton tec tec 40.....thanx

Thanx for the tip.....but its a little too pricey for rental torches as a personal dive light maybe....do u have any info on the princeton tec tec 40.....thanx

Tec 40 is a simple, easy bright light which is used mostly during the day for nooks or as simple back up. The Torrent Xenon (Torrent LED | Princeton Tec) is an excellent light for use as a primary and back up light. The light boasts 95 Lumens and burns for 30 hours which functions at depths of 100m.

Thank you guys...will look into the torches mentioned....but right now price is a factor as well as these will be given on rental.....

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good underwater torch for night diving in 15m viz.......should be tough as these will be rental torches......was checkin out the princeton tec tec 40....price is right how good is the torch?

To be brutally honest, I'd be pretty pissed if I laid out money to rent a light and you handed me a Princeton Tec 40. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent little backup light to stick in your pocket, but it's nowhere near enough to use for a main light in a recreational setting. Besides that, you can buy them new for $12.

Think about it from a customer's standpoint: if you're renting a light...you want a LIGHT!

Most rental lights you see on liveaboards, etc are of the Princeton Tec Shockwave or UK C-8 variety...

princeton-tec-shockwave-ii-xenon-spotlight.jpg

11.jpg

One other consideration for rental lights is batteries: consider rechargeables.

Last edited:
I'd go with a rechargeable light. UK makes the Super Q light 90 lumen which comes with a Li-ion rechargeable cell and charger and costs about $100. You'll save in the price of replacing batteries, and the battery for this light is standard, that you can buy online.

Adam

Intova dive light. Has to be the best dive light in the entire world.

Intova dive lights

An instructor let me borrow hers for a night dive. I put away my gigantic 8 D Cell Princeton Tec and just used her tiny Intova - much brighter. I now own two.

Here is another SB thread relating to them: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/215775-intova-3w-led-dive-light.html

That's a bold statement, and we'll agree to disagree.:crafty:

10.110.221-700.jpg

Yes, I know this is not even remotely a practical rental light but I had to address the "best dive light in the entire world" statement. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom