please tell me your fav bc & why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This a nice BC with a number of features: an auto-inflator, a dump valve with the pull cord integrated into the inflator hose, an over expansion relief valve, a big pocket, and a CO2 inflator. The bright orange color makes it very photogenic.

ew1usnr:
This a nice BC with a number of features: an auto-inflator, a dump valve with the pull cord integrated into the inflator hose, an over expansion relief valve, a big pocket, and a CO2 inflator. The bright orange color makes it very photogenic.

Seems like more manufacturers should take notice and make their BC's, wings, etc. brighter colors for those that prefer them. Not everyone is on a SEALS or RECON mission.

My favorite bc is a sea quest pro qd+ w/ velcro pockets, this bc fits great, and is very durable. The velcro pockets wont give you any problems so if you can find a bc with them it might be cheaper

Used to dive a Seaquest Balance, but now have a Dive Rite Transpac II. I thought the Balance was good, but the Transpac is even better. TOTALLY customizable. Padding, d-rings, pockets, weight integration, different wings. Everything can be added, adjusted, or removed. I removed the padding, added small weight pockets and use the travel wing. Shoulder strap base plates were moved back for a more secure fit, d-rings were moved forward for easier access.

For warm water recreational diving, IMHO this is the best BC.

alcina:
Just woulld like to get a sense of the following from as many of you as possible:

1) favourite bc for recreational scuba diving - general use, day to day
3) favourite bc for special circumstances & what you use it for

I have had a look at the recent poll for SeaQuest, Sherwood & Oceanic and there was some good input there...more is appreciated...I get asked this all the time and would like input from those whom I don't dive with all the time (many of whom are reps or have dive shops so may be a tad biased!) for a change!

I am also after fav regs as above.

1/3) Back Plate and Wings :D

why: As stated previously it feels like you don't hardly have a BC on at all... Streamlined, I've turned into currents and barely kicked to remain stationary while waiting for the rest of a group, while others are kicking at a constant rate to stay on one spot (much better for ye old air consumption to be barely working)

Versatility, with a switch of ye old wings I can go from singles to doubles.

Strength, I dare you to break the stainless steel backplate, unlike my friend who's broke the plastic back pad in his seaquest back inflate at least twice now.

Comfort, after a few trial dives every other BC felt like a torture device, sure it has no pockets, but I haven't had a reason to have a pocket for a year, now I do, and I'm adding a thigh pocket.

Just my 2 cents.

I like my Genesis Recon as it is comfortable, functional, extemely durable, weight integrated, has enough flotation and accomodates doubles quite well with the optional backplate. It is not DIR but it does everything I need it to do and I cannot really find a reason to retire it.

But to be honest when it gets retired, I will go with a BP and wings. The contenders are the Dive Rite TransPlate harness with a classic wing. And an OMS backplate with a comfort harness and 60 lb wing. Both would offer as much functionality, durability and comfort as my Recon for a lot less money.

For vintage diving with a double hose reg my preference is a Scubapro horse collar BC with an oral inflator and a run of the mill hardpack. Tech divers have not seen streamlined until they dive this arrangement - the ultimate in streamlining and minimalism. And with a single tank and proper weighting you practically fly through the water. (With zero redundancy when the bad guys cut your hoses - just the way Mike Nelson did it.)

alcina:
Just woulld like to get a sense of the following from as many of you as possible:

1) favourite bc for recreational scuba diving - general use, day to day
3) favourite bc for special circumstances & what you use it for

I have had a look at the recent poll for SeaQuest, Sherwood & Oceanic and there was some good input there...more is appreciated...I get asked this all the time and would like input from those whom I don't dive with all the time (many of whom are reps or have dive shops so may be a tad biased!) for a change!

I am also after fav regs as above.

Hey! What was 2)?
1) ScubaPro Classic plus w/Air2
3) Halcyon BP/Wing 'cause I got one cheap.

ScubaPro Mk25/S600.

Zeagle Ranger w/rear weight pockets and crotch strap
Atomic M-1 w/Atomic Z-1 Octo :coke:

BCD:
Single tank; Jet Harness with a SS plate. A steel low pressure 80 (2400psi) and the SS plate, wearing a 5mil and a hood, I carry 2lbs of lead. In the DUI dry suit I carry 14lbs. It's the most stream lined BCD that I have ever used, and I've used a lot of different BCD's.

Doubles; Dive Rite classic with double inflator and custom fit webbing from Jet Harness.

Regs:
Genesis "Yukon". Least number of parts, lightest non-titanium, minimal maintainance, easy to service, small. I like the shape of the Genesis "Atlas" first stage but the jury is still out on the 'Dry Air Demand' schrader valve nonsense. My wife is currently beating the hell out of an Atlas this year. Been about 8 months and 200+ dives. If it comes out clean when I service it next month, I'll start using it.

All of my rental regs are Sherwood Brut, they take the best beating of any reg I have ever seen. The abuse they take from being rentals is just sinful, yet they still work fine after 500+ dives a year.

Back
Top Bottom