Please tell me your personal experiences w/buying ScubaPro regs at LeisurePro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually my parents make me buy my own gear and i work for it, for your information. second my first reg was from them and to go in and out of the city to get it serviced is annoying when i have an lds near me, but they won't touch it b/c they don't know if it is GREY MARKET or not. I was there b/c I didn't know about the operation there.

actually my parents make me buy my own gear and i work for it, for your information. second my first reg was from them and to go in and out of the city to get it serviced is annoying when i have an lds near me, but they won't touch it b/c they don't know if it is GREY MARKET or not. I was there b/c I didn't know about the operation there.

I have never had to "explain" the origins of my gear to anyone. Sounds like you have some awful dive stores.

LP rocks.

Maybe if the kid stopped slandering a good business then we would be more understanding.

I agree that LP is a good business - I've purchased the majority of my gear from them and have no complaints outside of a few items being damaged during shipping and a pair of boots only lasting a dozen or so dives, neither of which was their fault, yet they quickly went out of their way to help fix any problem I've had.

That being said, I'm not sure I would exactly categorize his comments as slanderous. He claims to have a reg set fail so that is his experience and opinion. Sure, a number of other statements are ignorant; however, my point is there is a better way to get a point across than to belittle him about his age and if his "mommy" or "daddy" helped the little "Popsicle" purchase something, or travel to a LDS.

You can probably credit Aqualung for planting the seed in his head that buying "life support" equipment from places like LP is dangerous, which is complete BS.

"Gray Market goods are distributed in the United States without Aqua Lung's authorization, and may place the consumer at risk."

David

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some posts have been deleted,due to namecalling and/or trolling
If you can't play cival,please go play somewhere else

Sorry 300. this LP nonsense just gets to me sometimes...

Sorry 300. this LP nonsense just gets to me sometimes...

I agree. Slanderous is when a 14 yr old makes unsubstantiated comments and ridiculous things about a legitimate store. And then we get hammered when we respond.

You're getting a lesson in the poor business practices of some local dive shops. Refusing to service a regulator because it was purchased somewhere else is simply bad business, and it's unfortunate so many dive shops function that way. Don't blame LP for this. I can understand (although I disagree with it) if they would refuse to honor warranty items like free parts, but not servicing at all out of some misplaced punitive sense? That's just dumb.

You can always send your reg to LP or someone else for service.

If your LDS can't tell if its gray market, then how dangerous could it be?

Back to the wider topic:

The mistake people make is in believing that the guy servicing their regulator is somehow entitled to know its entire history. If you aren't getting the "free parts" deal (which never transfers from the original owner), then you don't owe them any explanation of where the reg came. These are regulators, not pure-bred dogs.

If pressed for details, tell them that you either: (a) bought it off a friend/co-worker/some guy who quit diving or (b) that your uncle gave it to you after he quit diving. That's all you know. Any other question should be met with a shrug, then ask when you can pick it up.

Back
Top Bottom