Please up the daily Thanks cap to 25!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, not Crowley! but maybe CrowleyW .i went back and recounted. and only did 24 thanks :hm:

I just went and looked. I think your count may be screwed up a little because of being in a different time zone than the server clock. (i.e. you're on a different day than us, so some of your thanks yesterday count as today if that makes sense.) I also bumped it up a bit more and the cap currently sits at 50. Jax, you owe me for the extra 10.

Last edited:
:flowers: :Kissy:

I just went and looked. I think your count may be screwed up a little because of being in a different time zone than the server clock. (i.e. you're on a different day than us, so some of your thanks yesterday count as today if that makes sense.)

Plausible. But sounds bit weird since my time zone looks to be GMT -4 as a default and never have changed it. Maybe we both just suck at math :rofl3:

Reduce the cap to 5 per day, but let me see them in my statistics.

Can anyone disclose the real cause of removing thanks and now limiting them? I have heard divisiveness, but can we average users hear specifics? Were really helpful people causing unhelpful people thanks envy? :) I have really tried seeing the problem from all angles but can't imagine that a user with an outlandish opinion thanking another user with an outlandish opinion would be taken as anything other than that by the general SB population.

Can anyone disclose the real cause of removing thanks and now limiting them? I have heard divisiveness, but can we average users hear specifics? Were really helpful people causing unhelpful people thanks envy? :) I have really tried seeing the problem from all angles but can't imagine that a user with an outlandish opinion thanking another user with an outlandish opinion would be taken as anything other than that by the general SB population.

This is probably the most comprehensive response to your question:

The Thanks button is not a standard feature of vBulletin. It is an add on or a "hack." As such, it appears to have to be updated separately whenever upgrades are done. When the hack was uninstalled, it appears that something was lost, reset, or :idk:

The reinstall appears to be having a configuration problem and I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous with it. I'm working through it, in my spare time, but it's not going to be an instantaneous fix.

To address Why? it was uninstalled, there were some complaints regarding the whole thanks issue and staff was reviewing these complaints to assess the merit and the course of action. Pete has been busy with other issues and missed most of the discussion, leaving it up to us to come to a consensus. When he came in and checked, his misread part of the discussion and killed the entire hack. He made note of that here:

So no, it was not done as a "control" thing. It was done as a result of a misunderstanding, which we are now working to correct.

Just to be clear, there are several issues that the Thanks! function has caused amongst users. It is not about an individual user, thread, or group. It's about a collective problem which I will not discuss further here.

In response to a few other comments that have been made in the thread:

• Yes, there have actually been complaints.
  • No, you don't have to believe that if you don't want to.
  • The reason why most of you aren't aware there is a problem is because you're not the ones that the emails, PM's and reports get sent to.
  • Just because you can't envision how something can cause a problem for another user doesn't mean that it can't.
  • People have the right to disagree on their opinions of the Thanks! or how they use it.
  • Things that we consider abuses will be dealt with on an individual basis once it's been reinstalled.
  • Expect that there will be some functionality changes and limitations

:no:

There will be none of that!

Instead, everyone can pay me $ .50 per thanks per day and I'll raise the cap based on how much money I collect divided by the number of active users per day. :D

I'm gonna send you a PAYPAL for 25 cents...

because I only want a "half ass'd THANKS". :D

I'm gonna send you a PAYPAL for 25 cents...

because I only want a "half ass'd THANKS". :D

I don't know Mike. A "half ass'd" thanks sounds like a custom order to me, those cost more actaully

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom