Plotting air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm laughing kelemvor...I was hugely impressed as well that Subsurface originated with Linus; after I got the program running with both my older Suunto (Cobra 2 with hose AI) and my newer Shearwater (Perdix), and then got it running on all my laptops, plus my Ipad, plus my Android phone [I might be something of a nerd as well]....I looked at the references on the website and read Linus' personal notes and observations about dive computers.

Something I didn't see documented, but if you download the same dive profile from two computers, it will figure that out; conflate the data; and show you the best of the two log files. So I will probably keep downloading from the Suunto to keep getting the gas consumption information, but I'm definitely sold on the Perdix as my primary computer.

+1 for Subsurface and Linus Torvald (who knew he's a diver?) I just downloaded this after seeing DavidFL's recommendation and agree - it's very very nice. It read my dive logs from Shearwater Desktop easily, although it'll take a bit more work to import dives from my other PDC currently stored in "DiverLog", which uses a proprietary log format.

One feature that appeals to my inner nerd is the ability to show separate ceilings for all 16 ZHL compartments over the dive profile. Plus it'll be great to use a dive program that is actively maintained by diver / programmers.

All is well, then David. Same profile as your. 67 years old and kicking under water. I looked at your profile and just thought that I would take this chart to show to beginners that a lot of air can be used at the beginnig of a dive if not calm enough.

Take care :)

All is well, then David. Same profile as your. 67 years old and kicking under water. I looked at your profile and just thought that I would take this chart to show to beginners that a lot of air can be used at the beginning of a dive if not calm enough.
I used the chart to figure out where my air consumption "problems" were in my dives about 100 dives ago. I helped me to drop my sac. At the time, I was wearing unneeded lead. This meant I had to pump up my bcd at the begging of the dive. It showed up on the chart, much like you see on @DavidFL's chart. I corrected my buoyancy, which almost completely eliminated that big red area on the chart (at the beginning of my dives). It also helped throughout the dive, although the latter change is not as easily measurable as the former.

Thank you kelemvor, this was the objective of my post. HAve a great day :)

You can also use Subsurface to work out SAC even without AI. All you need to do is put in starting and finishing air pressure and the size of the tank.

You can also use Subsurface to work out SAC even without AI. All you need to do is put in starting and finishing air pressure and the size of the tank.
That is what I use it for.

Might get AI at some point in the future though in which case I will make use of the tracking.

A Subsurface Lovefest! I'm in! :)

I just ditched Windows from my personal laptop and went with Linux Mint. With Linus being one of the Subsurface developers, obviously Subsurface has good Linux support. I, too, thought it was kinda special when I got a personal email from Linus to get more data about a Subsurface bug I had reported. :)

One of my favorite features of Subsurface is that you can set it to save and load your log data from "the Cloud". And the Subsurface cloud storage is free. You just have to register yourself to set it up.

So, now, when I run Subsurface on any of my computers, from anywhere, I get all my log data without having to worry about copying a log file around and keeping it up to date in multiple places. I've changed personal computers and operating systems. I've been using 2 dive computers, bought a new one and sold an old one, and Subsurface just loads the data from whatever dive computer(s) I hook up, no problem.

I just left Subsurface as I could not get it to speak to my Petrel 2 after the latest Petrel firmware update (V37), I am sad.

I could not get it to speak to my Petrel 2 after the latest Petrel firmware update (V37)

That's very strange; I have V37 firmware running on my Perdix....shares the firmware with Petrel...and it works fine directly with Subsurface.

Back
Top Bottom