"Plugged end" of high pressure (gauge) hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baken

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Friends,

I just purchased a pressure gauge. The end of the hose that screws into the first stage seems totally plugged off. Ok, there is a very small hole the size of a human hair. This can't be the size of the port through which air makes its way to the pressure gauge! How to deal with this? Is this for transport only, and does the Dive Pro simply replace this "plugged" hose end with a fitting comprised with a suitable sized hole?

In the past, I just pointed at the pressure gauge I wanted and regulator, and a few minutes later, the dive pro came out from back with the regulator and high pressure gauge and hose already pre-mounted.

I have attached a photo showing the "plugged" end of hose...

Thanks for your help! :idk:

regards, Bruce

Attachments

• plugged pressure gauge hose.jpg
    plugged pressure gauge hose.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 119
Thats what its suppose to look like. That is the connection for a high pressure port.

Like the rest said, it is supposed to be that way. The idea is if you blow a HP hose, the flow will be so small it will not be a big deal. A HP hose whipping around with full flow from a tank would be dangerous. Since the hose just has to supply pressure at no flow rate, the hole can be very small plus it prevents you from pounding the HP gauges when you open the valve.

Thanks! I also appreciate the explanations! This is a great forum! regards, Bruce

By the way, if you look in your regs HP port, it will also have a tiny hole...sometimes to the point of almost not visable.

It may take me some time, but somewhere buried in a forum is the actual number of minutes it takes to drain tanks with different hose failures. Obviously a LP hose failure would be catastrophic compared to a HP. Unless of course you were diving with redundancy:)

Safe diving,

Ken

Curtesy of Curt Bowen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Divers

Here is a little test I did at Eagles Nest cave on Feb 12th for a small article to be placed in issue 17 of Advanced Diver Magazine.

The question I wanted to answer was:

How much time would it take to empty a full aluminum 80 cuft cylinder from 3000 psi to 0 for the following situations and would depth affect the times.

1. Failed Burst Disk
2. Failed HP Hose
3. Failed LP Hose
4. Free Flow high performance regulator 2nd stage.

I completed the test on the surface (0 feet) with 4 aluminum 80’s and a Zeagle D50 regulator.

Here are the results

1. Failed Burst Disk = 72 seconds
2. Failed HP Hose = 22 minutes
3. Failed LP Hose = 83 seconds
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 255 seconds

I then repeated the test at 4 atm’s / 99ft

1. Failed Burst Disk = Same within a second or 2
2. Failed HP Hose = Same within a minute
3. Failed LP Hose = Same within a second or 2
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 155 seconds

I then repeated the test at 8 atm’s / 231ft

1. Failed Burst Disk = Same within a second or 2
2. Failed HP Hose = did not complete due to time restraints but would assume it would be with a minute difference
3. Failed LP Hose = Same within a second or 2
4. Free Flow High Performance Regulator = 91 seconds

The results show the small amounts of time a diver would have to solve a major equipment failure while at deeper depths.

***Portion of this post was omitted since it did not pertain to basic OW diving practices***

Curt Bowen

Last edited:
Nice series of tests-thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom