Plus Figure womens BC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba~dog

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a BC on the market that is a womens and not a mans extra large? I am starting my OW next month and want to be educated on what gear is available to me.

SD, you need to decide a few things before you go BC shopping:

1) where will you be diving (exposure protection) and how often. If you are only going to be diving a couple of times a year on vacation in someplace warm, you're probably better off renting a BC that you can wear with a minimum of exposure protection.
2) how much lift.
3) configuration: traditional jacket, back inflation, or a hybrid of both.
4) weight integrated or not.
5) other features such as pockets, D-rings, etc.
6) customizable

THEN you go out and try on BCs with the various levels of exposure protection you'll be using. Please keep an open mind & don't get steered into "gender specific" equipment. The one that fits you the best & gives you the features is the one you want to buy, not the one that is gender specific.

~SubMariner~

It will be primarily Cold Water Diving In British Columbia. I had a concern in my discover Scuba course where the BC fit fine in my middle and chest area. but i have very slender shoulders and the shoulders flopped around no matter how tight it was adjusted.

I am hoping to get in the water at least once a week every month. I think I will drive my husband crazy and he will be sorry i took the course. Cause I won't let him sleep in. I will be jumping on the bed yelling c'mon Scuba!!!!!!!!!

I love the water so I am sure this is going to be a blast.

:mean:

You may think I am a Scubapro rep but I am not, I just like this equipment very much and know that it is very good equipment that is made to last. The BC you are looking for is called a "LADYHAWK" and it is made by SCUBAPRO. It is created for a woman taking into consideration there figure etc ...... Check it out I think you will be excited and happy with this product.

Rich :mean:

I thought I would just say, try the Sea-Quest Diva LX if you can. When I was taking my first class I had to use the men's/unisex size XL, but when I decide to get my own BC I found the Diva LX makes a L(large) that fits me and is built a lot better for real women. Instead of having to deal with a strap across the chest (very uncomfortable for me), the Diva LX has a kind of neoprene sportsbra setup that keeps the shoulders from slipping, while still being comfortable in the bust area. But whatever you do fit and comfort are important, not whether it is billed as male or female. If there is someway that you can try the BC's that interest you in real use you will probably find some that seem perfect in the dive shop, aren't so perfect in the water. It can be a big expenditure so don't allow yourself to be rushed into anything by some pushy salesperson.

I'm happy to say that I'm the new owner of a Diva LX. I also rented mostly Men's XL BC's, but the large size of the Diva fits me perfectly. If there are problems with the cumberbund fitting, make sure it's adjusted in the back, there's a few different settings.

For me, the Diva made a big difference, the shoulders fit better and the arm holes aren't humongous.

I agree that it may feel very differently in the water...the shop I went to had a swimming pool and let me try it out before buying it.

Happy hunting!

I had tried many bc's while renting equipment and tried on a lot at the lds, the Ladyhawk was by far the best. A very good investment once I got over the sticker shock.

Good luck,
Lisa

Originally posted by lisacats
I had tried many bc's while renting equipment and tried on a lot at the lds, the Ladyhawk was by far the best. A very good investment once I got over the sticker shock.

Good luck,
Lisa

I've been trying to decide between the Zeagle Escape, the SP LadyHawk, and the Diva QD.

I want something that fits well, like back inflation becuause of the freedom of arm movement it gives you and also want a BC that is compact andeasy to pack for trips.

Opinions, Ladies?

I agree with Sub-mariner on this one. Try all the ladies models & see if one works for you, but I have never been able to find a Girlie BC for a 5'8" amazon. My first BC was a salesman's dream, a complex tech BC with alll the bells & whistles & a price tag that made my wedding dress seem like a house-coat. Then I stumbled on an annual sale at my LDS: An Aqualung Wave in XL was going for a song! (literaly 1/6 the price of my original) It accomodated my anatomy, is comfortable, dumps air at the touch of a button (not to be taken for granted with a back-inflation style), and has giant pocket which enable my underwater kleptomania! For an OW student, think : Simple, Simple, Simple! You have PLENTY to think about with learning about oceanography, tight neoprene hoods, buddy protocol, watching your guages, etc. You really don't need to be fighting a complex set of gear! Just a note: I THOUGHT I needed integrated weights because I had cramps the day I did my first ocean dive. The belt HURT. Now I am much more self-assured underwater & can hardly believe I felt that way. Don't get ripped off.

When I bought my first set of gear there was one BC listed as designed for women. It was just a men's small with pink trim!

I don't know what models they used when designing the sizing and shape of womens BC's but I've never seen a women they fit like they are supposed to.

After trying on many BC's, I decided on a Zeagle Concept because of the sizing modules that Zeagle uses. My shoulders could be a different size from my hips and the length was adjustable. It's served me well for over 5 years.

I have recently started using a SS BP/wings. Nothing wrong with the old Concept, I just wanted something to help reduce the weight I have to carry on salt water.

As has already been mentioned, the fit is the most important thing, no matter who it is supposed to fit or what color it is!

Back
Top Bottom