Plus Size women -- AGAIN!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

count me in for a fiji trip too! i went on the fiji aggressor a year ago, and am dying to go on a land-based trip.

judy

I am so THRILLED to see that there are other bigger women out there who dive. My GF and I are just learning and we were beginning to wonder if that was going to be OK or if it was just for skinny people. I Hope to join one of the women's dives someday, but I want to get my cert first.

I'd love to talk to any experienced divers out there though! I'm so happy that this sport exists!!!

Dive mistress- I'd love to hear about any resources you know of in the NoVa, DC MD areas!! THanks!!

:) Glad to see that there are some people out there catering to plus size women. I am gearing up to start my OW and I was really hesitant about what I thought would be glaring looks or snide comments...so far nothing.
Obviously divers of all sizes rock!

isn't that sad? so many times i, too, hesitate before starting something new, or going someplace different, because i'm afraid of those looks and comments....

some of it is in my head, but some of it....

judy

It seems like it is time to post an update.

At the moment, I am somewhat physically frustrated. I was in a car accident while in Hawaii and sprained my ankle. Luckily, no one else was injured, and my injury is relatively slight. But, it has been causing a fair amount of pain, and has slowed me down a bit.

I was in Hawaii for the second Big Adventure trip (most of you have heard me talk about my hobby of leading groups of plus size women to Hawaii to learn to SCUBA dive -- www.bigadventures.net). Overall, the trip was another success!! There are THREE newly certified plus size divers in the world! Watch out!! There were five of us on the trip -- a returning Big Adventurer from the February trip who was already certified -- she and I did as much diving as my ankle would allow - -and we had some awesome times --- saw small sharks, turtles, spotted eagle rays, manta rays and of course, tons of tropical fishes.

The three newbies completed the certification course during the first three days of the trip (at times I'm sure it seemed like it would never end!) And, then we went on a group boat trip -- The newbies still have lots to learn, but they were doing it!!! I think that one of them is newly addicted -- she asked if she could dive with us the following day (Yes! OF course!) and we had two great dives. The other two, I think are proud of their accomplishments (as they should be) -- and I think they enjoyed diving, but I'm not sure if it is something that they will continue to pursue.

And, just for the record, Big Adventurers have ranged in size from a size 8 slender ally through the range of plus size to approximately size 30/32. They have ranged in age from mid 20's to early 50's.

Part of this trip included a trek for me to Fiji with some of my dive connections to check out the possibility of future trips there. It was awesome! Fiji is on the southern side of the equator -- so early June is the beginning of their winter (Thank God! It was still really warm). We stayed at two different resorts and tried out two different dive operators.
The first was excellent -- a first class operation, extremely safety conscious, customer service oriented-- brand new boat with easy entry and exit systems -- and very manageable for a plus size person. The accomodations were great and the diving was awesome. Dive opportunities included attending a shark feeding as well as a 3 dive day with the surface interval spent on a remote beach with a barbqued lunch and a rest in hammocks. The topography in the Beqa Lagoon was wonderful -- the "bommies" -- I guess they are pinnacles that rise from the lagoon floor to about 15 - 25 feet of the surface -- so, you are doing your safety stop hanging out with all the critters that inhabit the top of the bommie!!

The second location was a bit more of a challenge -- the dive boat didn't have any safety equipment (no personal flotation devices, no throw rings, no first aid kit, or fire extinguisher, no Emergency Oxygen); they often had to start the engine using a screw driver... -- OK, this was an _adventure_ and we were 'roughing it' -- For me, the biggest challenge was the boat ladder -- if you want to call it that... The "ladder" was a vertical plastic piece about 24" long with three cross pieces -- and, the bracket that was meant to hold it to the boat was broken... So, upon surfacing, I would swim up to the boat and pass up my camera then I would take off my weight belt -- I'd pass that up to the boat captain... then I'd rest for a minute to work out the cramp that was forming in my calf from passing up the weight belt. Then, I would take of my bcd and scuba tank and pass that up the boat captain. Then I would take off my fins and pass them up. Then, I would attempt to put my foot on the ladder and the captain would try to pull me aboard by one arm -- of course, that put me way off balance, and someone else on board would have to grab my other arm to heave me aboard. -- It was NOT a pretty sight!! Finally, I discovered that if I distracted the captain so that he didn't grab my arm, I could actually scramble aboard using different hand holds -- first the motor mount, then the cleat, etc. Even though I was the largest -- in fact the only really large person there (I'm 5'7" and wear a size 28), I wasn't the only one struggling with the ladder -- the other two women also needed assistance, and a couple of the men too. The second challenge of this dive operation was that we would return from our dives at low tide -- and the boat would take us as far as it could go, and then we would get out, wearing special 'mud shoes' , and walk the last 1/4 to 1/2 mile across the tidal mud flats to the resort -- did I mention that this was Fiji and it was hot?? The diving was gorgeous, the people friendly, accomodations nice -- but certainly not a place for the plus size diver -- unless they are really hard core and up for a serious challenge.

So, needless (?) to say, Big Adventures will not be returning to the second location-- However, there ARE tentative plans for a week long trip to the first place with great diving in the Beqa Lagoon, Fiji during June of 2003!!!!!

The next Big Adventure Hawaii trip is scheduled for September September 27 - October 4th in Maui. The trip after that will be scheduled for February 2003 -- to visit the whales during their stay in Hawaii.!

So, I'm back in California, trying to get back into the work routine and trying to get caught up with everything that didn't get done in the last month.

Liz

I am a new diver and would be interested in joining you for any trips this winter or later (have to have time to save some pennies). So far I know VERY few people to dive with and only one other is a female. So...let me know when you do get vacations lined up please.

on your upcoming trips -

I am definitely interested in your trips to Maui - and being just a hop, skip and a jump from there, depending on the trip
schedule(s), it's a lot easier for me to join you than it is for me to contemplate most of the other dive trips that are posted.

Any plans to do a trip to Kona?

Hey

Tge new site looks great and most of all is really encouraging. Here in the midwest, I guess alot of divers come in plus sizes, so I never gave it much thought. I have been fortunate, probably like most of you to find myself bound to people from the shared passion of the sport. But as an instructor, I get conscious of my size every time i encourage students to be fit.

Awesome!! I'm so glad to see that you guys have resurrected this string!!

OK, here's the current update / news --

The next Big Adventure trip is right around the corner -- September 27 - October 4 -- at this point, it is all certified divers... and there is still one or two spaces available.

Big Adventure activities for 2003 are tentatively planned as Maui in February, Maui and /or Fiji (you choose -- do one or both) in June and Maui again in September.

I LOVE diving in Kona but have found that Maui is better for newbies.

Allie -- I'd love to join you and explore the sights off Oahu too! -- Or we could hop over to Kona and have some great fun there!

My schedule is pretty flexible, so if anyone wanted a trip to Hawaii at a particular time, I might be able to arrange it.

I love dive trips with women, especially relatively small groups --- 2 - 6 women; and especially size positive folks.

My purpose in organizing the groups is not really to make money but more to share my enthusiasm for diving, to share the possibilities to other plus size women, and finally to support my dive "habit" by pooling resources to cut costs.

Oh, and Gr8tlakes --- you mentioned that you get self conscious when encouraging fitness.... Perhaps you can talk about how fitness is a continuum, and for improved safety, a diver wants to be as fit as they can be -- but remember there is no _single_ idea of fitness.... you can be big and still be very fit! Fitness is life long process.

Liz

Anytime you're down on Oahu, feel free to drop me a line if you want to do some diving - I will do my utmost to meet up with you! I'm still searching for a regular dive buddy, so anytime I can meet another diver (especially those from ScubaBoard) is a treat. :)

I'll keep your trips next June and September in mind - while I wasn't planning another vacation other than taking my daughter to Disneyland in March, the lure of a dive trip so close is very tempting. I'll just have to make sure I save up my spare change!

Have a blast on your upcoming trip in September - let us know how it went.

Back
Top Bottom