Plymouth Offshore 10/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Got a chance to get in a couple more dives before remodeling season closes in on me.

Our first dive was exploring a new potential scallop area. Jeff used his hand-held GPS to guide us to the spot, and we dropped anchor at 65 feet near a sloping wall down to 95 feet. Jim, Jeff and I splashed at 8:15 am, checked the anchor, then I attached a reel and off we went into the 12-15 foot viz looking for that prince of shellfish, the scallop. Since we had anchored on top of a pinnacle, we had agreed to head into the wind, in the event we had to surface without the line we would be blown back towards the boat. After about 10 or 15 minutes I was looking at about 10 feet of line left on my spool and we had not yet found the edge of the wall. SO we headed back to the anchor and set out in the opposite direction, only to reach turn pressure before we found the other side. It was made even more painful by the presence of spent scallop shells scattered around our turning point.

There were tons of what looked like juvenile tautog, and the ever-present "endangered" dogfish. We grabbed a few lobsters and later agreed to add this pinnacle to our favorite lobster spots. Dive time was 46 min, max depth was 66 ft and water temp was 54 at depth. It was getting a bit "sporty" on top when we returned to the boat, so we headed in towards the coast to a ledge near one of our favorite lobster spots called the Honey Hole.

We anchored in 37 feet of water, checked the anchor, then headed in towards shore and the wall. It started out slowly, but we quickly arrived to an area that had lots of lobsters, many just shy of legal, a few monster mamas, and a smattering of keepers. Viz was variable, at times 10 feet, other times 20 feet, and if you were following Jeff, 0-5 feet :wink: . My light was growing weak, so I saved it for a few necessary moments, which probably caused me to miss a few hidden gems. Dive time was 70 minutes , max depth 37 feet, temps were 55 at depth. We grabbed a few more lobsters and headed back to football and beer.

All in all a nice day to be on the water.

Jack, I'm jealous! I had to spend Sunday at my cousin's wedding in Maine. Not a bad time...nice to see the relatives, but it wasn't a day diving either. I'm seeing the doc who did my surgery tomorrow and he'll probably medically clear me, so I might be back in the water soon.

LobstaMan

Jack, I'm jealous! I had to spend Sunday at my cousin's wedding in Maine. Not a bad time...nice to see the relatives, but it wasn't a day diving either. I'm seeing the doc who did my surgery tomorrow and he'll probably medically clear me, so I might be back in the water soon.

LobstaMan

Jimmie - Good to hear you're ready to dive. Give me a call when you're cleared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom