PNG help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dicgo

Reaction score
I am planning my honeymoon diving trip to PNG in end Jan. I am thinking a 7 days liveaboard trip on mike ball in MILNE BAY or FeBrina in Rabaul/South Coast New Britain. Anyone with any experience? comments? suggestion? I am interested in seeing healthy coral and lots of fishes (not interested in big fish though)

I knew it is the rainy season in PNG. Is it really that bad that I should consider not going at all? Is it better for liveaboard or landbase?

Thanks

I just got back from PNG from diving PNG in mid-October from Star Dancer and highly recommend it seeing PNG on a live-aboard. This takes you to truly pristine diving.

I believe the boats are now staged out of Walindi since the valcano several years ago mucked up Rabaul as a a dive attraction. Both Star Dancer and FeBrina (salty steel) were staged at Walindi when I was there.

If I had to do it over, I'd go for 10 days instead of 7 but this is due mostly to the ordeal of getting to Walindi for the US (set 5 days aside for travel). Star Dancer is larger and more lugurious--at 120 feet its a traveling hotel.

FeBrina is newer and more sea worthy but somewhat closer quarters at under 90 feet--its accomodations are mapped out on the PNG page of the Peter Hughes website. http://www.peterhughes.com/phfebrina/phfebr.htm

I HIGHLY recommend a live aboard at PNG. I've been around the more popular sites in the Carribean and Central America (not to mention the Great Lakes and both US coasts--warm and cold water) This is the most pristine diving I've encountered anywhere.

Nice to meet up again, like you the diving in PNG was the best I have ever seen or expect to see makes coz look like a desert. I would be intrested to hear about the live-aboard v Walindi, do you have any photos ? some of mine are on thread started by cdiver2 if you would like to take a look.
I will be going back to PNG as soon as I can afford it how about you ?.
All the best
David

dicgo once bubbled...
Anyone with any experience? comments? suggestion? I am interested in seeing healthy coral and lots of fishes (not interested in big fish though)

Thanks

I did a 10 day live-aboard in Milne Bay in 2001 and I'm going back for another dose in February next year. I wasn't with Mike Ball. He operates huge luxurious ocean-going catamarans, which would be great for a honeymoon cruise. We were on a little wooden tub called Barbarian, max capacity 10, including 3 crew.

There's some wonderful diving to be had in Milne Bay. There are plenty of untouched reefs and amazing fish life. There are also some great wrecks in the region, in particular Blackjack, a B17, intact and sitting upright in about 45 metres of clear blue water, 200 metres offshore. In my opinion, this is the best aircraft dive in the world.

I don't know so much about Rabaul. I dove there back in the mid-eighties, just before the volcano let go. At that time Rabaul Harbour was full of Japanese wrecks. The diving was destroyed by the volcano. I believe it's recovered to some extent but I don't have any recent knowledge.

Don't worry about the rainy season. It doesn't rain all day, and it's actually quite refreshing. The viz is not affected by the rain except for close inshore.

Live-aboard is the best way to go in PNG,

Thanks for the advises, I think I will go for liveaboard in milne bay.

I would not recommend Paradise Sport (Mike Ball's tub). It is way too big, and not the way to dive PNG.

If you are looking for a smaller boat then try Tiata at the top end of the market, Telita in the middle or Marlin1 at the bottom!

Telita has a lovely double cabin with en suite on the main deck that is perfect for honeymooning.

I have been to PNG many times before and send a lot of people there on holiday (that's my job!) Milne Bay is one of my favourite areas of PNG.

Look at my web site (click My Stuff below and then PNG and then Dive Sites and then Milne Bay for more details.)

Please fell free to PM me if you want any more advice - or me to help you with your trip!! :wink:

I dove on the Telita this July. The cabin on the main deck was very nice. Small boart - relatively. Check on who is the skipper and will be leading the dives.

Definitely go with Alan Raabe. He will not be on the FeBrina but will be on the Star Dancer. He knows PNG better than anyone and will show you the best diving. I'll be there the end of May through June. I've spent good times in Kavieng, which is most likely where you will be diving from. The prevailing winds that time of year makes that island the best bet. Have a great time!

DontLieToMe,
how about the skipper on the Telita? Seriously considering going on the Telita in Sept. The Star Dancer is booked solid, and trying for the Febrina but interested in the Telita. However, there is very little info on that live aboard - other that it dives Milne Bay, 10 divers,...
Any advice/comments appreciated.
Thanks

Luci
Dive Kingston, Ontario.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom