PNW diver visiting MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geraldp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all:

I've got the opportunity to travel to MA (Marlborough) next month and have an extra day (May 15) to try some New England diving. Somebody suggested Rockport (Folly Cove?). Can anybody recommend a place to rent tanks and find a buddy? I did a google search and found Cape Ann Divers in Gloucester. They have a nice web page, but are they a good dive shop? Any other recomendations?

My main interest is seeing what there is to see in the area, and to see how different New England dives are from Pacific NW. I was thinking a shore dive, but a charter would be fun as well if it's not too expensive.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry:

Let me be the first to pre-emptively welcome you to Cape Ann.

Cape Ann Divers is a good shop, but make sure you check your tanks to confirm they gave you a full one. They tend to fill hot, leaving you with 24-2600 when it's all said and done. They know more than anyone what the current conditions are at any given site, and their charter boat is in my opinion the best available up here. Their charter fees run about $55.

If you can't squeeze in a charter, Folly Cove's a great site and you have been advised wisely.

Jerry;
There is a really good dive site up in Maine called Nubble Light which is also a very good dive and by May 15th, you should be able to see a whole lot of life down there. It is a light house with a lot of history and it is just right over the border. You could also go to divenewengland.com to see if you can hook up with a dive buddy. Any where you go in New England will be a dive you won't forget for a while to come.

geraldp:
Hey all:

I've got the opportunity to travel to MA (Marlborough) next month and have an extra day (May 15) to try some New England diving. Somebody suggested Rockport (Folly Cove?). Can anybody recommend a place to rent tanks and find a buddy? I did a google search and found Cape Ann Divers in Gloucester. They have a nice web page, but are they a good dive shop? Any other recomendations?

My main interest is seeing what there is to see in the area, and to see how different New England dives are from Pacific NW. I was thinking a shore dive, but a charter would be fun as well if it's not too expensive.

Thanks,

Jerry

If you can swing it cash wise, call up Cape Ann Divers and sing up for a charter dive to the Chester Poling. It's the most popular wreck dive off MA and should give you a good idea of what the diving is like here. She's only a short boat ride out of the harbor and a very nice dive: 1/2 an oil tanker in about 100' of water.

Hi,

If you're diving wet, you might still be cold. Are you bringing a dry suit?

Folley Cove is a really nice dive site but depending on weather conditions it may not work out for you on that day you will be around. Folley Cove is located in Gloucester, MA which is surrounded 3/4ths by water. This means that you can usually find a decent shore dive somewhere nearby. You don't have to charter a boat to get a really great dive.

Cape Ann Divers may be willing to give you suggestions on good dive sites given the weather of the day and previous days. They tend to be on top of that info and seem willing to help anytime I've asked for their recommendations.

As far as finding a buddy, this forum is really good for that. Closer to your dive date, you'll see more and more other people looking for dive buddies on this site. Other dive shops may also organize some dives where you can buddy up with someone. I'm not sure if Cape Ann Divers start their Sat and Sun 10am dives but you might want to ask them. Be there no later than 9:30am though.

You may also want to contact the New England Aquarium Dive Club, www.neadc.org or metrowest dive club www.mwdc.org. They might have some dives set up for that weekend.

Hope you have a great time out here!

PK:
You may also want to contact the New England Aquarium Dive Club, www.neadc.org or metrowest dive club www.mwdc.org. They might have some dives set up for that weekend.

Yeah, MWDC has weekly Saturday morning shore dives, called the "Date At 8," so you should have no problem finding someone to dive with.

PK:
Hi,

If you're diving wet, you might still be cold. Are you bringing a dry suit?
Cape Ann Divers may be willing to give you suggestions on good dive sites given the weather of the day and previous days. They tend to be on top of that info and seem willing to help anytime I've asked for their recommendations.
Hope you have a great time out here!

Thanks for all the replies! Yes I will be bringing a drysuit... the water in Hoods Canal in Washington is typically around 48 degrees this time of year, and I suspect it's a similar temp out your way.

I emailed Capeanndivers several days ago about charters, rentals, and buddies, but they didn't reply. The idea of a charter is sounding more appealing, as you get motored out to great dive spots, plus you're pretty much assured that there's somebody there you can buddy up with.

Thanks again for the warm welcome,

Jerry

geraldp:
Hey all:

I've got the opportunity to travel to MA (Marlborough) next month and have an extra day (May 15) to try some New England diving.

I called Cape Ann Divers and signed up for their 8AM charter. Apparently I'll be diving with a group of lobster hunters in relatively shallow waters (30-50'). This didn't sound optimal, but hopefully there'll still be some good stuff to see, and I suppose I can still do a shore dive after the boat comes back in if I feel the need to do more exploring.

So... what's it take to get a 1-day MA lobster license for an out-of-stater?

geraldp:
So... what's it take to get a 1-day MA lobster license for an out-of-stater?

Oops I read on Mass Div. of Marine Fisheries:

"Non-Commercial Lobster Permit - application - online renewal is required to fish for or take lobsters and crabs for personal use. This authorizes the holder and members of the holders' immediate family, residing in the same residence, to fish for and take lobsters using 10-pots only. The immediate family is defined as the spouse, parents, children, grandparents, brothers and sisters of the holder. This permit may be endorsed for diving by the permit holder only. Other family members may purchase dditional permits for diving only. Non-residents may obtain this permit if they own at least $5,000 in Massachusetts real-estate, and temporarily reside in a Massachusetts coastal city or town."

If I'm reading the right thing it doesn't look like I'll be doing any lobster taking while in town :-(

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom