Pocket placement on wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wondering if there is a consensus on the best place to stick a pocket on a wetsuit, front of thigh, or on the side? What are the reasons for your preference?

I remember 10 or 15 years ago there was a very strong opinion amongst some tech divers that the place for pockets was on the front of the thigh. I am wondering if such an opinion still exists and if so what benefits or disadvantages there may be?

It's all about reach and real-estate. The front was preferable because it supposedly limited drag. For most divers, I think this is an artificial argument as you may or may not feel the difference while finning. In addition, while in trim, you'd feel drag from pockets in the front as well. I put two pockets on my (3) drysuits always on the side of the thighs. I find them easy to get into and, with the new pocket systems, they can be kept quite close to the body. I found the front pockets interfere with walking and are uncomfortable above-water. That's my two cents.

I put pockets on the sides of my thighs on my wetsuit. Mostly because that's where they are on my drysuit, and 'cause the front didn't make sense to me.

^ Agreed. Under my shoulders is the most streamlined position. Plus if you reach your hands straight down they just land on the pocket. Height is determined by putting the suit on, opening the pocket and reaching to the bottom of it. That should be a good height as you can easily reach into it.

Thanks guys. Any further feedback appreciated.

Would also be interested in any tips about how to attach them. The ones I have bought are neoprene backed and come with a tube of Aquaseal glue and an applicator brush. Any pitfalls I should know about before I go ahead?

You need to put your wetsuit on, and using an appropriate marker, mark out where you want the pockets. Then find a way to stretch the wetsuit to your thigh dimensions. Could be a bleach size bottle or? Be creative. Once stretched out tape it off with masking tape so you don't go outside lines with glue for looks. Double and triple check your glue lines against the pocket. You want good adhesion at the corners, but don't want ugly glue spots everywhere.

I prefer neoprene cement for wetsuits not Aquaseal. The neoprene materials will suck up a lot of glue and it will take a couple of coats. Let them dry, then on the final coat when tacky put it together. Press the materials together. I use a roller. Let it dry overnight and you should be ready to go diving!

Mine are glued on my wetsuit with three coats of premium contact cement. Still holding fast after 150 dives.
`Stretch your suit leg over an ironing board to stabilize the material and facilitate the glue application.

anyone had pockets professionally sewn on instead of gluing? any advantages/disadvantages?

I had mine sewn on by my local (well, not local now...) cobbler. I put the suit on and marked the edges with tailors chalk.

They've held fine and it looks good. I've seen too many peeling pockets to want to go down the glue road. I'm sure some people manage to pull it off, but most seem to result in a mess.

One of the reasons that putting the pockets on the front of the leg doesn't work as well, is that if you swim very close over the top of something, the pockets may well catch on whatever it is (or drag in the silt). In addition, because your arm naturally hangs down your side, it is easier to get in and out of pockets if they are on the side of your leg. You should place them so that, without bending your spine, your fingers can reach the bottom of the pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom