Pockets and bungees/D-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have DUI pockets but I haven't found that the D-rings get in the way. Does cutting them out fall under the general "don't need it, don't bring it" rule? Or is there something bigger that I'm missing?

Maybe it's something I'd hope would be obvious that you're missing, it kinda falls into the general common sense life rule of 'if something is in your way (and it will be sooner or later) and you don't need it/aren't using it so get rid of it' approach.

Why is it we feel the nonsensical need to DIR-ize every last simple decision with every point?

BTW, the same rule applies when buying a new shirt a Wal-Mart, probably a good idea to remove the tag, price sticker and hanger before trying to installing it on yourself.....uhhgggg. You may also need a WAL-f course though to figure it out, but I am not sure.

phuck me already.

Go-gggiggty Stever!

Really just looking for a place to slide the hanger joke in, and that was as good of a place as any :wink:

Giggity Giggity, alright........ lol.

BTW, the same rule applies when buying a new shirt a Wal-Mart, probably a good idea to remove the tag, price sticker and hanger before trying to installing it on yourself.....uhhgggg. You may also need a WAL-f course though to figure it out, but I am not sure.

phuck me already.

Well, comparing a factory-installed D-ring to a price tag or hanger takes a leap of logic I'm not yet prepared to take. I haven't seen this DUI pocket, but when someone says "If your equipment comes with X, you'll want to forcibly remove it," I think it's a fair question to ask why.

Thanks for responses everyone.

I haven't seen this DUI pocket, but when someone says "If your equipment comes with X, you'll want to forcibly remove it," I think it's a fair question to ask why.
For most items that go in a pocket, the D-ring would represent a metal-to-metal contact, which is frowned upon by DIR convention. Therefore a D-ring in the drysuit pocket would never be used by a DIR diver. If you are not going to use it, then there is no reason to have it, and therefore it can be removed.

Well, comparing a factory-installed D-ring to a price tag or hanger takes a leap of logic I'm not yet prepared to take. I haven't seen this DUI pocket, but when someone says "If your equipment comes with X, you'll want to forcibly remove it," I think it's a fair question to ask why.

Thanks for responses everyone.

It is indeed a valid question esp. as a hanger generally isn't supposed to be worn with the actual garment (unless perhaps you are one of those fashion models!)

I removed mine as I didn't need them, and didn't want to have any possibility of accidentally clipping anything to them.

Maybe it's something I'd hope would be obvious that you're missing, it kinda falls into the general common sense life rule of 'if something is in your way (and it will be sooner or later) and you don't need it/aren't using it so get rid of it' approach.

Why is it we feel the nonsensical need to DIR-ize every last simple decision with every point?

phuck me already.

BTW, I don't thnk Wal-Mart is DIR.

Why do you say metal-to-metal contact is non-DIR? A metal snap hook on an SPG coupled to a metal D-ring is standard DIR so why not a metal snap hook to a pocket D-ring, say?

Is a nylon loop attached to the pocket D-ring for attaching metal snap hooks OK in that that avoids metal-to-metal contact. Maybe that use of the pocket D-ring is DIR?

Why do you say metal-to-metal contact is non-DIR? A metal snap hook on an SPG coupled to a metal D-ring is standard DIR so why not a metal snap hook to a pocket D-ring, say?

Is a nylon loop attached to the pocket D-ring for attaching metal snap hooks OK in that that avoids metal-to-metal contact. Maybe that use of the pocket D-ring is DIR?

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark at this, though I know it's not entirely consistent with the stated notion:

First, a snap bolt on a D-ring is indeed a metal to metal connection, but a "metal snap hook on an SPG" or regulator or backup light is not, because it's attached with cave line.

Second, if the snap on a chest d-ring fails shut, there's an argument that you can easily reach and cut the cave line attachment. I haven't tried it, but I can buy that as a plausible explanation.

This doesn't work so well with a thigh pocket d-ring, which is completely out of sight and probably out of reach of both hands simultaneously. It kinda doesn't work with the waist (SPG) D-ring either, since it's off to the side, but I'm sure some thawed out Canadians will jump on this in an Ottowan second and cut this argument to shreds anyways :D

The reason why the SPG is not considered metal-to-metal is because in a pinch, you can cut the cave line that holds the snap to the hose. The same is true of backup lights that are attached to the harness. With most things that you might clip off in a pocket (spools, SMBs, etc), cutting it loose is not going to be an option, which is why we recommend the nylon loops instead of a D-ring.

The same effect can achieved without the metal D-ring by securing the loops directly to the grommets in the pocket. Therefore the D-ring in the pocket is not really necessary, and can be safely removed.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom