Pohnpei Surf Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgrauman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am ambivalent about this post. For a large part, I want to keep quiet, let everyone wanting to dive Micronesia keep going to Palau and Chuuk, and leave Pohnpei and the outer islands to me and my buddies so we can keep diving conditions that are equal or better than Palau, much cheaper, and where we had the entire ocean all to ourselves. On the other hand, the Pohnpei Surf Club was so kind and attentive, the dive masters so friendly and helpful, and the diving so amazing that I have to support them.
If you have been to Palau in recent years... say, for example the Blue Wall or German Channel, you will recognize the problem. It has become so commercialized and crowded that it is becoming dangerous. Divemasters lose track of their group, divers lose sight of what dive group they are with amidst the crowds, and God help you identifying your boat amidst the crowds if you surface alone. Imagine the same or better conditions, and having it all to yourself, you, your buddy, and maybe a couple of other divers. Shark rock has consistently large schools (I counter over 100) grey reef sharks. Manta road consistently has numerous mantas at their cleaning stations, allowing inspection for a distance of 1 meter or so. Hard corals, soft corals, and the entire range of Micronesian wildlife, at a cost about 1/3 of a day at PPR. Harder to get to, and worth every bit of work.

We've been to Pohnpei twice for diving...it's a jewel. This short video from Pohnpei Surf Club most certainly communicates that: Such POTENTIAL!

(I also believe the diving has the potential to be just as spectacular as Palau...and YES! Palau has become over developed..been 3 times with no plans to return.)

It was so disappointing to hear about the closing of The Village in 2013. Discusson Forum on Micronesia The forum post and comments about sums up the situation for this Island. We stopped for a few days in late summer 2015 for some diving with PSC. With Nan Madol, the UNESCO World Heritage Site and such beauty...it's really a shame they haven't been able to develop responsible tourism on this lovely island. Our first visit was in 2008...such a difference upon our return in 2015..and not for the good. Our visit in 2015 coincided with the Western & Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC) meeting...depleting the oceans of Tuna seems to be about the only business that's growing in this part of the world. More foreign investment in the FSM...but how much do the locals REALLY benefit? Looking for things to change on Lovely Pohnpei ...for the BETTER! Here is a link to a dive travel show on Pohnpei...great memories of The Village Hotel!

Last edited:
Never got to stay at the Village. But, Mangrove Bay is a fine, unpretentious, friendly hotel right by the dock. It is at least a 4 star by Micronesian standards. My fondest hope is that the people can prosper in continued obscurity.

dgrauman,
Hi, I have sent you a PM with some questions about Pohnpei, which I visited for a couple of weeks in 1974.
Thanks,
Sandy Crane.

Hi.
Do you recall the price for a room at Mangrove Bay?
Thanks.
Kathy

Back
Top Bottom