Point Dume Report 3-27-11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich805Howell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Went out with a class as a tag along and just to get wet. But water temp was 53 degrees with viz ranging from 15-25 feet depending on depth. Did 3 dives and all in all they were pretty good. Saw a bunch of sea life suprisingly in such a sandy area. Dolphins were out in full force and when we were getting out from the 2nd dive we got a awesome treat from a whale playing around in the surf zone. Hope this helps...

- Rich

I've always wanted to dive dume, but I've always been wary to dive it due to the warnings I've heard about currents. How were they? Was it as advanced of a dive as I've heard?

If you dive directly off-shore, the currents aren't an issue. The dive there is basically like Vet's (nice, but a lot of sand).

It's when heading to the pinnacles that currents become an issue.

I've always wanted to dive dume, but I've always been wary to dive it due to the warnings I've heard about currents. How were they? Was it as advanced of a dive as I've heard?

I kicked it once in decent conditions. A long but doable surface swim (we swam out to the rocks, did the dive then swam back on the bottom but a new-to-me buddy got low on gas and we had to swim most of the way home against the current on the surface which was miserable)

I would say much more enjoyable as a scooter or boat dive (I've seen at least one commercial-looking boat pull up there)

The site itself is awesome walls, awesome fish life ... really very nice

Thanks for the report. I hope you did not have to swim out to the rocks three times.

Heh, no. I wasn't part of the dive that started this thread, this was some time ago :)

And indeed, the most interesting dive for sure from a "structure" point of view is the one on the pinnacles, not directly out from the beach.

Noooooo we just went out to the sandy parts but I have done the rocks before, and yes its a long swim to them 30-40 minutes just to get to them. And yes it was a AoW class,one of the few places you can do a nice deep dive off shore.

Back
Top Bottom