Polar Bears attack US Nuclear Submarine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm AF, so subs are not something I have much experience with. Other than loving the pics, I'm curious about something.

How do subs surface through many feet of solid ice without damaging the boat? :aeh:

they are solid steel =)

actually, they have special sonar and pick a particularly "thin" spot of ice, then come
straight up and let the sail break the ice.

Andy is right on the money.

Only certain subs have the design capable to do this and under ice sonar is required. I have my "Bluenose" certificate (Those that have it know what it is). Let's just say that I have have slept in some cold racks (as the outside racks are next to the ballast tanks).

B. C. Palmer, former ET2 (SS)

JaxvilleDiver:
I know that there was a redneck on there wondering how much it would cost to mount "one a dem burrs" --- or if it tastes like chicken...

Naw, the reefer is too small to keep a Polar Bear in! LOL

Cool polar bear pictures! And the rest are awesome too, man that bird stuck in that airplane is wild! They are awesome bears. That bear was probably thinking *****, dinner for a year! I'd hate to be the first guy out of the sub. Yeah, man is it's only real predator but once in a while they take out people.

One of my friends told me about a friend of his in Alaska, that was making fun of a polar bear through a cabin window. Everyone left the room, except the taunter, the others heard a big crash, went to check it out... the bear had come through that window and killed the guy. They had to shoot the bear. Then went to jail for shooting it. That's why man should always respect wildlife!

Take care,
Matt

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

diverbrian:
Let's just say that I have have slept in some cold racks (as the outside racks are next to the ballast tanks).

How do they keep water from freezing in the Ballast tanks? Do they heat it, or is there just enough heat in the sub regardless to keep it warm enough.

I would think that ice could/would at least form in the "inlets" on ocassion.

mike_s:
How do they keep water from freezing in the Ballast tanks? Do they heat it, or is there just enough heat in the sub regardless to keep it warm enough.

I would think that ice could/would at least form in the "inlets" on ocassion.

I can't comment too much on this. When blowing the water out, it has been known to create issues. And there are solutions, but the Navy never told me what exactly I am allowed to say in the open. Think of a reg. free-flowing and you will follow my logic on the issue with blowing ballast.

As to what keeps it from freezing in the actual tanks, I always figured that just enough heat escaped the sub through the metal of the inside hull to prevent this from happening. If the water was liquid enough to flow in, it wasn't going to take much energy to keep it in liquid form. I never thought much about it. I worked in the engine room. Even in cold climates, a steam engine room is not a cold place, LOL.

I will say that First Class Petty Officer berths on a submarine require extra blankets though. We don't want to think about the washer next door to that berthing area either (Think traffic by the berthing area.).

diverbrian:
I can't comment too much on this. When blowing the water out, it has been known to create issues. And there are solutions, but the Navy never told me what exactly I am allowed to say in the open. Think of a reg. free-flowing and you will follow my logic on the issue with blowing ballast.

As to what keeps it from freezing in the actual tanks, I always figured that just enough heat escaped the sub through the metal of the inside hull to prevent this from happening. If the water was liquid enough to flow in, it wasn't going to take much energy to keep it in liquid form. I never thought much about it. I worked in the engine room. Even in cold climates, a steam engine room is not a cold place, LOL.

I guess they could always put a heat exchanger pumping in from the cooling water for the reactor. You'd figure they'd use that to keep those bunk areas warm also.

I have been to places in Northern Canada where they have signs that warn you to check for Polar Bears before leaving the building. The buildings also have bars on the windows and they are not there for the crime wave but to keep the bears from popping the glass out and getting into the building and killing someone. Somewhere I have a picture where both my feet wearing muckluks are inside the paw print in the snow of a polar bear. trust me what you see at Sea World or in the zoo is not the same as what is out there in the wild.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom