Political correctness run amok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mblazer

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We live in an age where every group seems to have some treasured practice that is not only beyond regulation -- it is considered racist, small minded, bigoted or just plain ignorant to even talk about it. Here's the latest chapter: Is a California Shark Fin Ban Racist? - Civil Rights - Law and Daily Life

To summarize, California is proposing to ban the possession, sale and distribution of shark fins. A great follow-up to the recent federal action banning shark finning in U.S. waters, right? Not so fast say the champions of all things PC. Because, all you environmentalists who care about preventing the destruction of an important part of the oceanic ecosystem are really just racists in disguise. That's right you bad, bad people. You see, according to a California State Senator, eating shark fin soup is an important part of Asian culture, and all this is really "an attack on shark fin soup, and thus an 'attack on Asian Culture'". Yep, you heard it right -- eating soup made from this indiscriminate killing is not just a digestive preference, it's a cultural right. Now I can certainly see the natural extension of this. For example, I'm Jewish, and I'll be damned if any self-proclaimed zealot of an environmentalist will come between me and my matzo ball soup!

So all you bigots in environmentalist clothing beware! The species you're trying to save may be somebody's lunch -- culturally speaking of course. As for me, I think I'll pull out my trusty elephant tusk and go hunting -- I could use a fresh bengal tiger burger.

Amusing that one of the co-sponsors of the bill is an Asian. I guess he must hate himself and his culture.

Senator Yee is looking for votes from the Asian community in the San Francisco area.

I tried sending him a very polite e-mail as to why the banning of shark finning was important from an ecological point of view and got a "response" back saying that Senator Yee's inbox was flooded with "spam." I guess rational discussion of the issue is spam to him.

All cultures have practices that are extremely detrimental to our ocean environment, and we do have to remember that when accusing other cultures.

I'm Jewish, and I'll be damned if any self-proclaimed zealot of an environmentalist will come between me and my matzo ball soup!

"Matzah (Hebrew: מַצָּה&#8206:wink:, also spelled Matza, Matzoh, Matzo, Matsah, Matsa, and Matze, is a cracker-like unleavened bread made of white plain flour and water"

WHITE flour?? You Sir, are a RACIST!!

WHITE-FLOUR.gif

Dammit, you got me! My secret's out.

Didn't California pass a law against eating horse a few years back? I seem to remember bumper stickers that said, "Eat a horse, go to jail." That was blatantly anti-French (who enjoy a nice haunch of pony now and again), but no one complained on that basis at the time.

Shark-fin bans are for amateurs when it comes to misguided political correctness.

The world champion example had to be when the people of the Pitcairn Islands tried to argue that they should be allowed to continue to molest their children because it was part of their culture. Yep, no matter how warped your values, today you can try and argue they should be protected on cultural grounds.

The paradise that's under a cloud - Australasia, World - The Independent

Question: does anyone think that the bans will make a substantial difference to to the actual take?

I'm absolutely in favour of the bans, but generally where there's demand supply will dutifully follow - and from what I can ascertain demand is only growing.

I'd certainly like to see equal efforts going into educational approaches, in any place people eat SFS in any significant numbers.

Good point Dr Bill that all our cultures wreck the marine environment in one way or another. We all have sins to reflect on.

Still, better to light a candle than curse the dark.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom