Politics and Dive Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robint It is a shame that the actions of a few small-minded individuals can make you feel dubious about visiting Egypt. It also doesn't help that the US media tends to have a slanted view of the Middle East as well. I have taken several groups of American friends to Egypt (Sharm, Hurghada, liveaboards from various resorts) and they have never had any problems whatsoever, whether it was on the liveaboard with the crew, or wandering around resort centres.

Yes, there are armed guards on checkpoints, and you see plenty of tourist police walking about the resorts, but it doesn't feel threatening or oppressive.

I've been to the Middle East (Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Sudan) 37 times in the last ten years, and taken a variety of nationalities with me, and not once have any of us felt any hostility. As Roatanman said, they rely on tourism, and they welcome all with open arms.

You are always going to get the odd insular person wherever you go (I've encountered them in the States, UK, Caribbean, etc), but my friends and I have never had any issues in Egypt.

I was just out in Egypt for a week in October and two weeks in November and it was great as usual excellent diving, good value for money, friendly people and decent beer!

TS&M If I remember rightly, you are doing a liveaboard, right? Tony Backhurst/Tornado Marine Fleet? You will not have any issues at all on the boat, and won't have anything to worry about, believe me.

Mark

He was harrassed every second of his trip by the DM regarding politics, not being able to talk to other people on the boat between dives as the DM kept getting in his face and wanting to discuss his views of our gov't.

I had exactly that by a Brit in Grand Caymans just a few months ago. I just smiled and listened to the rant and swore I'd never dive with that operation again. And I won't.

I had an interesting experience today. One of my divers came into the shop today and told me that she was kicked out of her hostel because she was Israeli and the owner of the hostel did not approve of what was currently happening in Gaza. I asked her if there were any Palestinian guests at the hostel that the owner might have felt could have caused a conflict at the hostel, but she said no, just Europeans. I used to recommend that hostel to our divers, but after today, never again.

Shortly after 9-11 I gave up on traveling to the Red Sea. Wish I had gone. I want to go now but the economy is the culprit (I guess that's a "political" reason I can't go, eh?). My airlines re-routed me to Kuala Lumpur once instead of going to Bali... no explanation. Here in the US I try not to travel to any of the Red States unless they have exceptionally good diving (most don't). I'm surprised people from other countries come here given the past eight years... but the times they are a' changin'

Im sort of surprised that quite a lot of people kept going to Thailand while there was a coup going on. They were shooting in the streets (but carefully avoided shooting tourists as I dont think any tourists were shot) and blocaded the largest airport (in bangkok)...

I have no qualms about going to the Red Sea (and I dont see why an american should either).

I went to Florida two years ago, I have to say that american politics didnt factor in even though cave-country sometimes feels more red-neck than even the "worst" movies...My personal experience is that most americans(and most others as well) are friendly if you are, regardless of politics...

I would hessitate to go to Iran and such places (though I have friends who have and rave about it) but other than that? The world is a dangerous place, I think we just have to get used to it...of course the risk is likely higher for americans in most places than someone, like me, from a "famously" neutral country...

Part of my question related to our perceived responsibilities as "global citizens"; in other words does one ever consider that by traveling to some parts of the world we are indirectly financing hostile regimes who's espoused philosophies and actions challenge what we perceive as the right thing to do ? Whether it be terrorism, treatment of women, children etc.

By buying gas today I am directly financing hostile regimes who's espoused philosophies and actions challenge what we perceive as the right thing to do in regards to treatment of women, children, etc. Lets don't even talk about the running shoes I bought last week.

It would be hard to avoid many cultures that we might judge as contrary to our own beliefs and political preferences. Many of them also have lower cost of living and multi-national corporations use their work forces to keep costs down so we will keep purchasing their products. Seriously, it is a global economy... at least what is left of it!I view myself as more a citizen of the Water Planet and I go where the environment calls (with certain restrictions based on safety and political climate).

Here in the US I try not to travel to any of the Red States unless they have exceptionally good diving (most don't). changin'

Slightly biased are you? So, you wouldn't go to Florida? How do you except the Gov. of California?
All the best Dr. Bill, it's so fun to read in between the lines:D

In a way I understand Dr.Bills point but MarkUK makes a good point about letting small minded individuals keep you from a place.

Growing up in the South East I often found myself asking 'Why am I surrounded by such red necks?' Once I grew up and was actually able to travel I discovered that the south does not have the market cornered when it comes to red necks, racist and stupidity - its actually a global problem.

You can find like-minded, friendly people just about anywhere in the world, or you can find adversaries, its really up to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom