Poll - Dive Flag - Sausage

What do you use to signal you are diving?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris12day

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would love to see a poll question on the number of divers who actually use a diver-down flag and float or a safety sausage - dive bag.

You tell me.....Thanks

I would love to see a poll question on the number of divers who actually use a diver-down flag and float or a safety sausage - dive bag.

You tell me.....Thanks

I've only used my float/flag on a few occasions. In the river, on the lake, and at the jetties in Panama City.

I pretty much always pull a flag when diving.
Always on shore dives, and almost always on private boat dives.
I will on occaision forego the flag if there are very calm seas and the guy driving the boat wants to just use his trolling motor and follow my bubble stream on shallower dives.
There will be a flag flying on the boat then obviously.
Chug
(Flies his dive freak flag)

Half my dives have a diver down flag (most anchored, some towed), all my dives have a SS on me and almost all have an SMB as well.

Last edited:
Most of the time I avoid towing a DD flag or I park it if it is required. I always carry a SMB on a spool for unexpected ascents.

Certain areas with high boat traffic are exceptions or lobster boats. Also, lakes (fresh water boaters and jet ski operators are idiots.) Then I pull the float due to the increased risk.

If I'm on a boat the DM carries a float flag, and I'll employ a safety sausage while I'm ascending for personal use. When I shore dive I carry a float flag.

Have used all of the above, although not all to signal that I'm diving. I voted for the three that actually related to the purpose. Used them in the following order of frequency: boat, nothing, flag.

Nothing. In our waters dive flags, etc are a hazard. They attract ignorant boaters and jet skiers and create an overhead environment. I've even gotten into a tug-of-war at 80' with a boater over the safety sausage I sent up. If you want to bring hazards above you on a dive, just shoot a bag or haul a flag.

No thanks.

Of course, we do fly a flag off the boat, not that anyone knows what it is.

In Florida its the law. Tow a flag, or be within the "safe radius" of the dive boat which is flying the dive flag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom