Poll: How does your mouth hold your reg?

How do you hold your mouthpiece?

• I bite down.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I just let it hang there.

Votes: 60 50.8%
  • Depends, I'm not consistent enough.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I've never really noticed. (O.O)

Votes: 17 14.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to get jaw fatigue, which means I was clamping down on the mouthpiece without realizing it. At first I thought it was from the hoses tugging to one side, so I got a swivel, but that didn't help. Next I tried the SeaCure mouthpiece. I've had the same SeaCure mouthpiece now for six years or so, and I never need to bite down any more. Never have any tension in my face from the regs at all, even after days on end of multiple dives.

Sea Cure.
Don't leave the beach without it.

Chug
Happy jaw when diving.

I use Trident's Comfort bite mouthpiece. It has a bridge that runs along the roof of the mouth & holds the mouthpiece against the top teeth. Vitually no effort to hold it in the mouth.

Same here. Regular mouthpieces feel weird to me now.

My dad uses one of those.
I can't get used to it. It feels like I have a never ending slab of peanut butter in my mouth. xD
To each his own :D

I bite down but not hard enough to cause jaw fatigue. I drift dive, and sometime the currents are strong enough to rip the reg out of mouth if I don't bite, especially when I turn my head to check on other divers. Never thought of it before, but it works for me, and I don't have any special mouthpiece; just the one SP provided with the reg.

I bite down easy. It makes me more secure.

I'd get occasional jaw fatigue, until I swapped out the standard and swivel hoses for Miflex... Doesn't push any longer when I turn my head... seemed to make more of a difference than the mouthpiece --

Mine hang there although I need to come up with a better solution because I tend to come out of the water with a wicked underbite and it feels funny... Also tends to hurt my jaw trying to bring it back in...

Do you have a stepped mouthpiece?

I bite down gently, just enough so I know the reg isn't going anywhere. I really like the mouthpiece that comes with my new reg (Scubapro A700). Some of the rental regs I used before getting it just didn't fit my mouth comfortably. I had some jaw fatigue with them but never with the new reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom