Poll - how long did it take you to adapt from a jacket BC to a BP/W?

How long did it take you to adapt from a jacket BC to a BP/W?

• I was immediately comfortable in a BP/W setup

Votes: 52 70.3%
  • It took 2-4 dives to be comfortable

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • 5-8 dives

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 9 or more dives

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum:
By comfortable I mean that your trim and bouancy skill in the new kit were at least as good if not better than you had previously in your jacket-style BCD.
Compared to a jacket-style or even a back inflation BCD, my trim was immediately better. It usually takes a few dives to sort out where the D-rings belong and which set of holes in the BP and wing the STA or doubles work best with.

RumBum:
I am declaring myself converted! My husband said he was surpised I took to a BP/W so quickly. So I wondered if most people have trouble adapting from a jacket BC to a BP/W set-up? By comfortable I mean that your trim and bouancy skill in the new kit were at least as good if not better than you had previously in your jacket-style BCD. Thank you for quenching my curiosity!

I didn't have any problems converting to a backplate - it was a real pleasure to gain the stability it offered. One question did arise though - where did the pockets go? I hate having slates, lights, sausage etc all hanging about me - and I've been too mean to fit pockets to my suits so far.

I checked 2 to 4 dives, but it is with a slight explanation.

I converted from a jacket BC to a Zeagle back inflate (not steel plate and wing). It took one dive to adjust, on the second dive I was fine and considered myself completely comfortable.

Quite some time later I used a steel plate and wing and spent one dive adjusting the harness (single piece hogarthian style) and getting everything generally comfortable, again on the second dive I considered myself comfortable.

So a total of 2 dives that were "new" and after those trim and bouyancy were not at the top of the list of things to pay attention to, but were placed back in the "second nature" catagory.

If I had made the conversion directly from a jacket to a steel plate I would estimate that the first dive would have been the only dive with any issues.

Mark Vlahos

the first few minutes...it was like spring heels. "where have I been"? Some dealer gave me my eclipse and if I had had to shell out the money, I would probably still be sloshing around in a jacket.

immediately (dive 1)

I just wish i had gone this route in the first place. It is very compfortable, less drag, easier to maintain and less task loading than my jacket BC.

My brother wanted to buyy my old BC from me and I told him to go straight to a BC, but his instructor refuses to let him learn in a BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom