Polyethylene glygol (PEG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGirlCC

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know where I can purchase some Polyethylene glygol (PEG) 4000. I have some wooden artifacts I need to preserve? I searched the internet and came up with nothing!

Thanks.

You could try calling your local pharmacist or a hospital pharmacist. They use it as a medium for concocting suspensions.

I was able to get some this way when trying to find cheap humidor "primer" you could also check out cigar/humidor suppliers.

Fine woodworking suppliers usually carry PEG for stabilizing green wood, but it's usually PEG 1000. Miralax, a readily available OTC laxative, is PEG 3350.

How important is it that you use 4000?

It was just suggested to use the 4000. I am open to ideas and suggestions for what works best and is somewhat economical too.

I had a friend who tried antifreeze before and it just turned the wood really green.

Have you read "History Under The Sea" by Mendel Peterson? Good book on preservation. Also there are other ways to preserve wooden items. Carl Fismer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom