Pompano Beach Fatality Sunday April 16th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do a search here on SB, there is a pattern that when bad things happen in that area SFDHQ is usually involved, followed by a change of name of their boat.

If you do a search here on SB, there is a pattern that when bad things happen in that area SFDHQ is usually involved, followed by a change of name of their boat.
Oh right, it must be their fault in some way and they go and cover it up.

Oh right, it must be their fault in some way and they go and cover it up.
A stern tie in that causes a sinking, somehow is also not their fault. Changing a vessels name, does not make up for poor decision making.

Can you elaborate on this?

Just relaying what the guys we picked up told us. It made some sense, given that open circuit divers would have been working pretty hard and burned a bunch of gas on their way down the mooring line. In contrast, the hot drop was pretty easy. Getting their mooring ball off the wreck was not so easy.

Regarding the vessel name changes, my understanding is that the Black Pearl also had a different name prior to another fatality in the inlet years ago.

Lance

Just relaying what the guys we picked up told us. It made some sense, given that open circuit divers would have been working pretty hard and burned a bunch of gas on their way down the mooring line. In contrast, the hot drop was pretty easy. Getting their mooring ball off the wreck was not so easy.

Hmm... still not sure I get it. You are either tied in or a hot drop. The current would be more of an issue if you were tied in, right? And I know from personal experience, working hard on a rebreather is a really bad idea...!

The way I read it was that it was a hot drop on the Lowrance and a ball at the Capt Dan. I guess the 3 divers picked up by the private boat were from the Capt Dan but not sure. The retrieved ball was from the Capt Dan.

@VsubT is this correct?

Regarding the vessel name changes, my understanding is that the Black Pearl also had a different name prior to another fatality in the inlet years ago.

Lance
Yes, I am aware.

If SFDGQ didn't keep having fatalities, sinking, etc. they wouldn't have to keep changing the names on their vessels. All the above safety issues are bad for business and google searches when someone searches your Vessel name prior to making vacation or diving plans.

The way I read it was that it was a hot drop on the Lowrance and a ball at the Capt Dan. I guess the 3 divers picked up by the private boat were from the Capt Dan but not sure. The retrieved ball was from the Capt Dan.

@VsubT is this correct?

The 3 divers we picked up were from the SFDHQ group on the Captain Dan. They started their dive by descending their mooring line at roughly the same time we descended to the RSB-1.

I’m not aware of any connection to the Lowrance wreck.

@doctormike Apologies if I misunderstood about rebreathers versus open circuit, I’m not a rebreather diver. I do know that you can burn a lot of gas on OC fighting a current though. 🙃

Lance

@doctormike Apologies if I misunderstood about rebreathers versus open circuit, I’m not a rebreather diver. I do know that you can burn a lot of gas on OC fighting a current though. 🙃

Lance
Oh, absolutely true, but rebreather divers are at a significant risk of CO2 toxicity from exertion, if they overbreathe the scrubber. This has happened to me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom