Pompano Dive Center and charters going out of business...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear you on that..... Since moving to ATL from South Florida, I'm in the unusual situation where my LDS (Diver's Supply) is also a huge internet seller. I take my tanks for VIPs, Hydro's, fills etc to the retail shop and pick up misc stuff when I am there. For major purchases, I order on-line (better sellection than the retail location) or I stop by the local shop if I know they have what I'm looking for.

Really unusual to have the best of both worlds from a single provider.
I was in Marietta for about 9 months before moving back north and having Divers Supply right down the street was awesome.

The internet vs brick/mortar issue has been going on for more than a decade.

If the stores can't figure out the way to deal with this change is not for the consumer to fix it, much less to feel guilty. As a catholic survivor, I appropriate guilt for just about anything but internet buying doesn't get me.

Set up a store with non-a$$hole attendants, provide good fills without silly superstitions, hook up with safe boats run by responsible also non-a$$hole Capt. & crew that can be instrumental for good-timely dives to your customers, with rental gear in usable shape, and keep your inventory to the basic stuff with whatever add on's for the tourists.

I can't believe that formula wouldn't work. Not saying that applies in this case, since this appears to be a landlord tenant issue... but in general.

First this is not the view or stance from “PDC”. This is merely my point of view from what I see. I haven't worked there in a year, but my friends do.

This is more than a store closing. In addition to one of the safest and best reviewed dive centers shutting it’s doors, 18 people lost their jobs and livelihood. NSU and Guy Harvey Research lost their research support vessel that facilitated over 1500 students being exposed to sharks, per year – most from title one schools. Veteran Earth lost it’s home base to continue it’s non-profit operation to benefit local Veterans with PTSD. Veterans Ocean Adventures and Aquanauts lost their local charter with water level entry to help with their adaptive diver programs. ALERT lost their ability to use our facility to supplement their diverse training. Scubatyme lost their fill station and tank storage room as we worked closely together from the very beginning. Stay strong Enzo !!!!

Many people are asking how this happened. It’s simple. Sands Harbor was intimidated by Adam’s Moustache. Just kidding – but this was my last opportunity to mention it !

Sands Harbor was purchased last year by new owners. Starting in October, Jeremy attempted many times to meet with the new owner to discuss lease negotiations. As Jeremy proposed ideas they were responded to, sometimes weeks later, with vague and inconclusive information to move forward. November passed, and again, continuous attempts were made to negotiate the lease. At this time we learned that the new owners did not want commercial space inside the hotel lobby – a potential risk to any businesses inside the hotel - snorkeling, jet ski, diving or otherwise.

Attempts continue through December and January to sit down and negotiate.

In mid January, Sands Harbor told Jeremy, by phone, that they “made a deal with someone else” and he would need to be out by Jan 31st. This was reinforced by additional correspondence the following day.

With no commercial dock spaces available in the area, this forced a permanent closure of Charter operations –which always went hand in hand with a physical store and fill center for PDC.

How a business can be told they can no longer operate inside the hotel, and then end up making a deal that allows them to take over a competitor’s business space to accommodate this, is a mystery to me. I would love to have been a fly on that wall as I wonder what those conversations may have looked like. No notice to Jeremy. No discussions at all with Jeremy – and now in hindsight, all but the intention to avoid contact or an explanation it seems.

Jeremy, myself, and the team, always recommended other dive shops. When someone wanted a brand that we didn’t service, or a product we didn’t carry – we would tell them exactly where to go. The name, directions, everything.

Anyone who spent any time at PDC can confirm that I told people every day where other shops or charters were – especially when they walked into PDC and assumed we were other shops. I graciously told them exactly how to get there – never a disparaging word. I also distinctly remember referring Sands Harbor Resort to thousands of people looking for accommodations – on the phone, in person, in email, and on the website, for many years.

When we were prompted for trips that didn’t align with our schedule (snorkeling on tech days, vice versa, or the like) we never just told a customer to figure it out – we always pointed them in the right direction. Why? Because we considered all divers to be part of our family, regardless of where they booked a trip or bought a snorkel.

We hosted annual product rep meetings for other dive shops who sold the same brands, at our store, so they could join us. We hosted instructor and Instructor trainer courses for other instructors and stores at our store on many occasions. We worked very closely with dive shops all over Florida – and treated their customers and students as family when they were with us. We never tried to undercut their services or steal a sale. It’s not what we did. We operated on the buddy system.

I know all of you want answers, and I have to tell you. So do I !

How did the new tenants know they were moving into our spot weeks to months before we knew we had to move out? (Customers told me things back in November that they “heard” that seemed outlandish at the time – but in hindsight were pretty accurate.) Why did they even know the details or specifics about PDC’s lease, and why did all involved feel comfortable discussing privileged business information behind closed doors? First the Patriots. Then the Astros. Now this?

To the new tenant, are you also taking over the support for the 25+ non-profits that we worked with everyday? Shark Research, Handicap Association Dives, Pier and Beach Clean Ups. Hundreds of events a year, from Shipwreck Intros, to Photoshop, to GoPro, to Fish ID. Are you willing to fill these voids that our local divers have grown accustomed to? Are you going to get ocean worthy boats? Are you going to offer banked fills, or learn to partial pressure fill without having to drain every tank first? Are you going to invest in Fill Station Operator and Gas Blending training for your crew? Are they going to hire tech instructors as crew, or increase their training to offer consistent drops and tie into the deeper wrecks to facilitate growth in the dive community? Are you going to run Shark Tagging, Sea Turtle Releases, and let Veterans Dive Free on Veterans Day? Are you going to put a guide in the water to help newer divers assimilate comfortably into the sport? I mean, if you are going to take it – take it all, right ?

In the mean time, I’d like to say “you’re welcome”. We set the bar for you, and it won’t be easy. We sent thousands of people your way, sometimes 20+ people per day. We let your divers use our bathrooms. We fixed fills, or facilitated your divers’ fills when time was of the essence. We sent our divers your way when we had boat issues, or when our boats were full. We aided you and your crew on numerous occasions where there were diving incidents that required help for remaining divers. We picked up your divers that drifted off from frequent split drops, and we always did it with a smile, and in a way that professionally never critiqued you in front of customers/divers. You are very welcome.

I also want to be able to say “Thank you”, so I’ll say it to those who supported us the same way we supported local diving. We love you! You will ALWAYS be a part of Pompano Dive Center. Considering Sands Harbor doesn’t want Pompano Dive Center there – I know I won’t be back. I will not reward what happened here. I won’t return to the tiki hut for food or drinks. I won’t recommend a stay at that hotel, and I won’t do business with anyone who conspired with them in attempt to ride the coat tails of others, at the expense of an entire community.

I hope you and your wallets agree. Scubatyme and Pura Vida would love to welcome anyone who feels that a little bit of PDC will always be in their heart. They treated us very well over the years, and I am proud to say that when I am diving locally, those are the vessels you’ll see me on.

You’ll notice the picture attached to this comment is the TripAdvisor as it sits right this moment. I just took this screenshot.

#1 of 53 tours.
A 5 out of 5 rating.
496 reviews.

This must be what John Elway feels like.

Attachments

• 5A1C88D8-AE5D-42FB-980E-425469DA1A4E.jpeg
    5A1C88D8-AE5D-42FB-980E-425469DA1A4E.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 111
Jeremy has responded to anyone who has reached out to him. He’s a stand up guy.

I wonder how good he is. On the FaceBook thread announcing the closure on the PDC page, several responders have stated they've got unused air fill cards and one poster said he's got $700 in unused trip tickets. Is Jeremy going to refund those divers for what they paid for those soon to be useless items?

Of course he isn't. It's very telling that the PDC owners have responded to several questions but have ignored those pertaining to unused trip and air fill cards.

First this is not the view or stance from “PDC”. This is merely my point of view from what I see. I haven't worked there in a year, but my friends do.

This is more than a store closing. In addition to one of the safest and best reviewed dive centers shutting it’s doors, 18 people lost their jobs and livelihood. NSU and Guy Harvey Research lost their research support vessel that facilitated over 1500 students being exposed to sharks, per year – most from title one schools. Veteran Earth lost it’s home base to continue it’s non-profit operation to benefit local Veterans with PTSD. Veterans Ocean Adventures and Aquanauts lost their local charter with water level entry to help with their adaptive diver programs. ALERT lost their ability to use our facility to supplement their diverse training. Scubatyme lost their fill station and tank storage room as we worked closely together from the very beginning. Stay strong Enzo !!!!

Many people are asking how this happened. It’s simple. Sands Harbor was intimidated by Adam’s Moustache. Just kidding – but this was my last opportunity to mention it !

Sands Harbor was purchased last year by new owners. Starting in October, Jeremy attempted many times to meet with the new owner to discuss lease negotiations. As Jeremy proposed ideas they were responded to, sometimes weeks later, with vague and inconclusive information to move forward. November passed, and again, continuous attempts were made to negotiate the lease. At this time we learned that the new owners did not want commercial space inside the hotel lobby – a potential risk to any businesses inside the hotel - snorkeling, jet ski, diving or otherwise.

Attempts continue through December and January to sit down and negotiate.

In mid January, Sands Harbor told Jeremy, by phone, that they “made a deal with someone else” and he would need to be out by Jan 31st. This was reinforced by additional correspondence the following day.

With no commercial dock spaces available in the area, this forced a permanent closure of Charter operations –which always went hand in hand with a physical store and fill center for PDC.

How a business can be told they can no longer operate inside the hotel, and then end up making a deal that allows them to take over a competitor’s business space to accommodate this, is a mystery to me. I would love to have been a fly on that wall as I wonder what those conversations may have looked like. No notice to Jeremy. No discussions at all with Jeremy – and now in hindsight, all but the intention to avoid contact or an explanation it seems.

Jeremy, myself, and the team, always recommended other dive shops. When someone wanted a brand that we didn’t service, or a product we didn’t carry – we would tell them exactly where to go. The name, directions, everything.

Anyone who spent any time at PDC can confirm that I told people every day where other shops or charters were – especially when they walked into PDC and assumed we were other shops. I graciously told them exactly how to get there – never a disparaging word. I also distinctly remember referring Sands Harbor Resort to thousands of people looking for accommodations – on the phone, in person, in email, and on the website, for many years.

When we were prompted for trips that didn’t align with our schedule (snorkeling on tech days, vice versa, or the like) we never just told a customer to figure it out – we always pointed them in the right direction. Why? Because we considered all divers to be part of our family, regardless of where they booked a trip or bought a snorkel.

We hosted annual product rep meetings for other dive shops who sold the same brands, at our store, so they could join us. We hosted instructor and Instructor trainer courses for other instructors and stores at our store on many occasions. We worked very closely with dive shops all over Florida – and treated their customers and students as family when they were with us. We never tried to undercut their services or steal a sale. It’s not what we did. We operated on the buddy system.

I know all of you want answers, and I have to tell you. So do I !

How did the new tenants know they were moving into our spot weeks to months before we knew we had to move out? (Customers told me things back in November that they “heard” that seemed outlandish at the time – but in hindsight were pretty accurate.) Why did they even know the details or specifics about PDC’s lease, and why did all involved feel comfortable discussing privileged business information behind closed doors? First the Patriots. Then the Astros. Now this?

To the new tenant, are you also taking over the support for the 25+ non-profits that we worked with everyday? Shark Research, Handicap Association Dives, Pier and Beach Clean Ups. Hundreds of events a year, from Shipwreck Intros, to Photoshop, to GoPro, to Fish ID. Are you willing to fill these voids that our local divers have grown accustomed to? Are you going to get ocean worthy boats? Are you going to offer banked fills, or learn to partial pressure fill without having to drain every tank first? Are you going to invest in Fill Station Operator and Gas Blending training for your crew? Are they going to hire tech instructors as crew, or increase their training to offer consistent drops and tie into the deeper wrecks to facilitate growth in the dive community? Are you going to run Shark Tagging, Sea Turtle Releases, and let Veterans Dive Free on Veterans Day? Are you going to put a guide in the water to help newer divers assimilate comfortably into the sport? I mean, if you are going to take it – take it all, right ?

In the mean time, I’d like to say “you’re welcome”. We set the bar for you, and it won’t be easy. We sent thousands of people your way, sometimes 20+ people per day. We let your divers use our bathrooms. We fixed fills, or facilitated your divers’ fills when time was of the essence. We sent our divers your way when we had boat issues, or when our boats were full. We aided you and your crew on numerous occasions where there were diving incidents that required help for remaining divers. We picked up your divers that drifted off from frequent split drops, and we always did it with a smile, and in a way that professionally never critiqued you in front of customers/divers. You are very welcome.

I also want to be able to say “Thank you”, so I’ll say it to those who supported us the same way we supported local diving. We love you! You will ALWAYS be a part of Pompano Dive Center. Considering Sands Harbor doesn’t want Pompano Dive Center there – I know I won’t be back. I will not reward what happened here. I won’t return to the tiki hut for food or drinks. I won’t recommend a stay at that hotel, and I won’t do business with anyone who conspired with them in attempt to ride the coat tails of others, at the expense of an entire community.

I hope you and your wallets agree. Scubatyme and Pura Vida would love to welcome anyone who feels that a little bit of PDC will always be in their heart. They treated us very well over the years, and I am proud to say that when I am diving locally, those are the vessels you’ll see me on.

You’ll notice the picture attached to this comment is the TripAdvisor as it sits right this moment. I just took this screenshot.

#1 of 53 tours.
A 5 out of 5 rating.
496 reviews.

This must be what John Elway feels like.
Although I live in a different country and haven't even been to Florida, I was very sad to hear of the demise of PDC. It's very clear you were a decent, principled company and didn't deserve to be treated this way.

I wish you and your staff all the best for the future. Good will and karma go a long way so I'm sure you'll bounce back.

Seems to me that it wasn't legal to force PDC out before end of February.

When no lease exists after term of prior lease has ended, then it's month to month. IMNSHO, earliest date that landlord could require a tenant out would have been Feb 29.

February might be the slowest portion of the dive season. A shop might not even generate profit - depending on the weather, so I could see why a tenant might decide to turn the lights off in January.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom