pompano shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gone shore diving in pompano (take atlantic ave from 95, go south and park ,dive from any of those streets..8th is popular) and commercial blvd in lauderdale probably over 50 times and never even paid attention to the tide. I dont think it matters. Pompano is the best shore dive in the area in my opinion..but a long swim out to the buoys

only tides i've had to deal with are riptides and the surge sometimes

There is a lot of structure well before the second reef off of 8th and 12th street beaches.
I think it is actually even closer than the distance to the first bit of structure at LBTS.
Some refer to this first reef line as the rubble pile and others as the first reef but either way
it's the first bit of structure and rocks and such as you head out. It's not near as pronounced as
the structure out on the drop off but a decent dive for someone just getting familiar with the area
and wanting to keep it safe. Each street has only four or so metered parking spots so parking can be
an issue. During the week either real early or late in the day you may get a spot at one of these meters.

thanks or the detailed info. this is our first vacation in 4+ years, so I plan on springing for a beachfront hotel. would be nice to find one where I can walk into the dive site from the room :)
I was planning on going to the holiday inn in riviera beach and doing BHB, but the hotel isn't really on the beach, and BHB was...ok but I don't think I'll be losing much by not going back this time. scheduling around the tides would also be a pain for a two night trip.
the thing that's primarily holding me back is it has to be a pet friendly hotel. I found a nice looking marriott residence inn in pompano on the beach, which prompted my post.

if you're staying in pompano - i would consider checking out Datura Ave (lauderdale by the sea/commercial blvd) - especially since some nice restaurants nearby for aftwards (from Burger FI to high quality seafood & steak)

when are you coming down? I might be up for a weekend dive depends on when.

not 100% sure yet. I probably will do the datura ave site over pompano beach, but just looking at all my options.

the shipwreck trail at datura can be snorkeled as well if there is anybody else in your family that wants to but isn't certified yet.

hmm. we are certified - and at least somewhat certifiable! :)
:gas::gas::gas: what can i say? i like playing with fire! eating it is fun too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom