Ponies and TSA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
I did a search and it wasn't helpful.

Has anyone tried traveling with a pony bottle LATELY?

I am going to Bonaire in Sept and would like to take mine. TSA's site says you can take on board or put in carry on if you take off the valve. I know for a fact in traveling in the past, no airport I started from let me take it on board. Had to put in check in, but ....its been a while since I was on here.....there were some stories for a while that pony bottles were being confiscated from check in.

Anyone??

Last year I took mine to Cozumel and had a TSA agent you was not sure of the regulation and she thanked me for bringing the printout from their web site that showed it was OK in carry on.

Skip to navigation Skip to content
Home | Contact Us | Search
Advanced Search

Compressed Gas Cylinders

Travel Assistant
compressed_gas.jpg
Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.
Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
Please note: Many of the seals/regulators used in paintball are not designed to be removed from their cylinder by the end user. The seal/regulator should only be removed and reinstalled by a factory trained technician.
Passengers considering air travel with a compressed air or CO2 system would be advised to contact its manufacturer for guidance in locating a qualified technician, or to consider shipping the system to their destination via a parcel service.

Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Hey Allen,

I have read that, yet I have called TSA HQ and talked to 2 different airport TSA customer reps and all say the same thing. It is in writing it can be carried on, but will not be allowed in reality. It must be in checked baggage. And, I am cool with that. I just dont want it confiscated out of checked baggage.

Oxy, I think scuba gear is looked at differently because the valve can be taken off where by on other tanks they can not.

Thanks for the come backs all.

Has anyone tried traveling with a pony bottle LATELY?
I just made a trip to Cozumel and back (in fact, I just got back 2 days ago). On the way down, I carried it on board with me (and through TSA security). There were no problems at all. On the way back, I put the pony in checked luggage. Again, no problems - although, TSA did examine that checked bag (as indicated by the note they left in the bag). So anyway - there were no problems at all.

I have read that, yet I have called TSA HQ and talked to 2 different airport TSA customer reps and all say the same thing. It is in writing it can be carried on, but will not be allowed in reality. It must be in checked baggage.
This is just not true, as per my travel experience in the past two weeks.

I carried my pony in my carry on just last month without any problem at both Midway in Chicago and in Phoenix Az.. I remove the valve from the tank and carry a flash light with in case they want to look inside.

Jim Breslin

I am currently sitting in the airport, waiting for a delayed flight, on my return trip from Florida. Made a two-tank dive with Dive Clearwater, the sun was warm and the sea flat, had a great time. The locals complained that the water was cold, I suggested they come dive with me in Monterrey. My trip to Florida was two part, Sacramento to Denver, conference in Denver, Denver to Florida. All of my dive equipment was packed into a Conteco trunk and traveled great. At check-in declare what you have in your luggage and ask for "Fragile" stickers (not that it makes a difference) and clearly state that you are not transporting any compressed gas cylinders. Returning I have added a new 13cf pony and Scuba Pro Reg that Mac's Scuba set up for me (Travis thanks for the long distance service). Weight being an big problem with United Airlines, if your bag is over 50 pounds United will bend you over your luggage and give you a big, hard, $125 extra fee. So the fins, wet suit, and mask went in to an extra bag my wife will check. Regs, BC and pony bottle went into the trunk. My worry is the transport of the pony bottle. I have drained the tank and removed the valve. The opening in the tank is covered with plastic wrap secured with a rubber band. I hope this works with out any problems. When I get back to Sacramento I will tell all, how it went.

I made it home from from Florida with everything but but the, TSA approved, lock on my trunk. TSA either took, lost or destroyed the lock on my trunk. Although it was a cheese-ass lock, it served the purpose of keeping stupid people honest and as a secondary latch to secure the lid.

Traveling from Sacramento to Denver the lock was mangled. I attributed this to the hasp being to narrow for the holes drilled and it was stepped on or such. In Denver I took a pocket knife to the trunk and modified the holes so the lock hasp fit freely. Denver to Tampa no problems. TSA never left their inspection calling card traveling from Sacramento to Denver or Denver to Tampa. Returning home Tampa to Sacramento, with a two hour connection in Denver, TSA tagged my trunk and the lock was gone when I received my luggage in Sacramento.

What scares me, is not the possibility of theft, but the apathy and decay of air carrier service. If kicked, hard enough, the latches on the trunk may open. I worry that no one would take time to pick up the spilled contents and close the lid. Maybe United will offer yet another fee of $50 and we will not break your luggage, in addition to the, $15 for the 1st bag and $25 for the 2nd bag.

Has anybody investigated the cost difference of UPS or FedEx .v. an overweight (>50 lbs.) checked airline bag?

Removing the valve and covering the opening w/ plastic rap passed TSA for my trip. The folks at High Sierra Divers gave me a threaded, plastic, plug from a new tank, has anyone had luck with this passing thought TSA?

TSA wants to be able to look in the tank. They also state that if it has a valve on it when you get to security, they will not allow it to pass. If you want to use your plastic plug, if it is easily removable, it MAY pass - but the safer action to take would be to bring it to the checkpoint with nothing on it except a plastic bag rubberbanded on. Once you get through the checkpoint, put your plastic plug on there.

I just made a trip to Cozumel and back (in fact, I just got back 2 days ago). On the way down, I carried it on board with me (and through TSA security). There were no problems at all. On the way back, I put the pony in checked luggage. Again, no problems - although, TSA did examine that checked bag (as indicated by the note they left in the bag). So anyway - there were no problems at all.

This is just not true, as per my travel experience in the past two weeks.

ND....It may not be "accurate" in relation to your experience, but it is certainly "true" that it occured just as I explained.

I talked to the TSA reps at the Fayetteville and Raleigh (NC) international airports and both say that they would not allow a pony bottle as carry on. It must be checked.

When I calle TSA HQ...twice....I got from two different TSA people that said, no matter what is in writing, the agent on the ground can do whatever they like if they think there is a need....or to make things safer.

I havent been on SB much for almost a year due to deployments and just before my absence there were numerous reports of pony bottles being taken out of check in luggage. That could have all changed now, and, that is what I am trying to find out.

Back
Top Bottom