Pony Attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sling all my bottles from 19 up to 40 cu ft. I used a backmount and simply did not like having it out of sight. IN addition having been taught to charge the system before entering, then shut it off, then again at the turn point, and finally at the beginning of the ascent having my left hand just be able to drop on the valve and know where the reg is without having to waste money on a new computer with another transmitter that may of may not work would be too much hassle. For 25 bucks I bought enough rope, and fuel line to make three sling setups and still get 2 SS bolt snaps. Having a slung bottle also eliminates another thing to get tangled up that I could not reach without a degree of difficulty that is not there with a slung bottle. Finally I'm not clear on what the OP's final intent is with this but it is not a way to deal with poor gas management and dive planning that should be used first and foremost.

These pitfalls revolve around the issues of not being able to monitor your gas while diving and not being able to remount if you remove it from a quick release.
I think that these points are great to point out. Rather then telling someone "just sling it", points like this make a valid reasoning.
Well put.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Looks like most of you are arguing over saving $$$. Stop being so cheap. This is life support equipment we are talking about. $$$ is the least of my concerns.

Given the above are the major pitfalls. I think I got it covered. I will gladly buy a 3 gas hoseless computer ($1000) and will gladly toss the pony rig ($400) when necessary.

Thank you all for your opinions - it was very informative.

I haven't put one on my BCD yet, but I flew with one on and off for 19 years. Having it set on my flight vest allowed me to know where it was if I needed it, and how to get it off if someone else did. I've been bidding on a few for a while.

I've seen the ones attached to the tanks. I guess old habits die hard with me. I want it on my front where I know I can get to it on my own.

Looks like most of you are arguing over saving $$$. Stop being so cheap. This is life support equipment we are talking about. $$$ is the least of my concerns.

Given the above are the major pitfalls. I think I got it covered. I will gladly buy a 3 gas hoseless computer ($1000) and will gladly toss the pony rig ($400) when necessary.

Do you mean that if it is "Life Support" then cost effectiveness and economics don't matter?? :shakehead:

Stop being so cheap. This is life support equipment we are talking about. $$$ is the least of my concerns.

Oh boy, now you've done it. :shakehead:

Someday people will stop trotting out this ridiculous connection between spending money and diving safely, but I guess not today.

I'm of Scottish descent so calling me cheap is considered a compliment... Thank you!
I was always taught that a wise man knows the difference between money well spent and wasted.

If it is life support equipment then start acting like it is. Do some research. Probably the divers who cannot afford failure of their "life support" gear the most (because of deco/overhead obligations) are technical divers. Go to that sub forum and ask what they think of both AI computers and quick release back mounted bailout bottles. Ask their opinions regarding slung bottles.

The most important piece of "life support" gear you will ever possess is between your ears. Learning how to look at gear configurations, analyse how they will work in the real world, spot their potential failure points and adapt strategies for overcoming them is a skill. Throwing money at a problem to avoid thinking is not. Some of us have done this (thinking) in regards to the use of pony bottles and have tried to pass on this info for your benefit (and others who might be silently reading along). It doesn't mean we are right and you are wrong but at least we have provided some reasoning behind our choices.

Wow, you really don't have any idea what you are talking about.

I'm done with you. Dive how you wish, and good luck.

What we are trying to illustrate is when it comes to many issues regarding safety and practicality the dive industry has done a very good job designing and selling expensive gagets that are at best impractical and at worst outright dangerous.

I second the idea you ask on a technical forum the value of AI computers and back mounted pony bottles. Just don't expect the responses to be polite.

(For anyone else reading who might be interested)
There's nothing inherantly wrong with backmounting (lots of people do it) but it comes with some pitfalls and no real benefits. These pitfalls revolve around the issues of not being able to monitor your gas while diving and not being able to remount if you remove it from a quick release.
If you want to monitor your pony gas while diving, it's a simple matter of using an SPG with a hose rather than a mini-gauge.

If you can't remount your pony after you remove it from the quick release, let your buddy carry it..........that's probably why you removed it anyway.:)

I think that these points are great to point out. Rather then telling someone "just sling it", points like this make a va:id reasoning.
Well put.

I voted for slinging it, I guess I should have said this topic has been beaten to death. Please do a search function to find your answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom