Pony Bottle and Dulles Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McCainiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone left Dulles recently with a Pony Bottle checked or as a carry-on? I'm heading to Key West in a week and wanted to bring mine along.

Thanks

I have carried a pony bottle in checked luggage several times most recently from BWI (vs Dulles) through Charlotte to Cozumel. Be sure that the bottle is empty and the valve has been removed and packed separately.

Has anyone left Dulles recently with a Pony Bottle checked or as a carry-on? I'm heading to Key West in a week and wanted to bring mine along.

Thanks

I carry a 6 cf on all the time through Dulles. It's my solo dive redundant bottle. Never had a problem. Make sure that the bottle is open for inspecton. I remove the reg/valve and put a plastic pipe plug in ahead of time. Then put the bottle in a plastic bag. Just before I go through security, I remove the plug, but leave the bottle in the bag. Most of the time, TSA doesn't even check it.

I also print out the TSA page on compressed air cylinders and rubber band it to the bottle-just in case.

TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders

If you're doing anything larger than a 19, you might have to check it which is a pain cause it must be open for inspection. TSA will not remove the plastic plug.

To KW, I'd UPS the bottle. I have shpped my Steel 100s via UPS Ground to Key Largo and it's about $25 each way. Plus I can leave the valves in and a few hundred psi of gas. If you're talking 30s or 40s, I'd definitely UPS them. If you're not talking about more than 40% oxygen, then you might be able to rent them in KW. Try Dive Key West.

Thanks

I have not traveled with one, but thinking, why don;t u just stop in Largo and rent one fron Chris brown of silent world dive center, his prices are very reasonable. That is just MOI>

Divengolf has been very lucky by the airport restrictions I have encountered. I have always been allowed to check in my pony, and I too wrap the TSA page around it, but take on has been a no go.

I have not traveled with one, but thinking, why don;t u just stop in Largo and rent one fron Chris brown of silent world dive center, his prices are very reasonable. That is just MOI>

Do you think the American Airlines would land on US 1 so I could do that? :shocked2: I was actually out with Chris on one of his boats last month and SOOOOO wish he had a shop in Key West. Chris runs a GREAT operation and has a WONDERFUL staff!!!

8 more days!!! :D:D:D

Disassembled in checked luggage is fine

Do you think the American Airlines would land on US 1 so I could do that? :shocked2: I was actually out with Chris on one of his boats last month and SOOOOO wish he had a shop in Key West. Chris runs a GREAT operation and has a WONDERFUL staff!!!

8 more days!!! :D:D:D

Did not know your flight plan, some people land in Ft lauterdale Rent a car and go from there, since it cost more to fly into Key west:shocked2:

Divengolf has been very lucky by the airport restrictions I have encountered. I have always been allowed to check in my pony, and I too wrap the TSA page around it, but take on has been a no go.

Luck as nothing to do with it. Don't understand why you're having problem. The TSA regs are clear. If the bottle is open for inspection, it can either be checked or carried on. I've taken mine as a carry on 20+ times since 2005 and other than a couple strange looks have never had any problem.

Here's a quote from the pertinent TSA web site: TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders

"Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. "

I prefer carry on so I can seal it as soon as I finish with TSA.

If you have further problems, ask for a supervsor and show them the regs.

McCainiac: there is a shuttle from FLL to the Keys 2-3 times a day. If you don't need a car in KW, it's cheaper than renting in FLL.

Luck as nothing to do with it. Don't understand why you're having problem. The TSA regs are clear. If the bottle is open for inspection, it can either be checked or carried on. I've taken mine as a carry on 20+ times since 2005 and other than a couple strange looks have never had any problem.

Here's a quote from the pertinent TSA web site: TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders

"Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. "

I prefer carry on so I can seal it as soon as I finish with TSA.

If you have further problems, ask for a supervsor and show them the regs.

McCainiac: there is a shuttle from FLL to the Keys 2-3 times a day. If you don't need a car in KW, it's cheaper than renting in FLL.

I've got my papers printed out and ready to go. BTW I'm flying to Key West and I'm not sure how Ft. Lauderdale came into the conversation? Staying at the Ocean Key on Duval and the LDS I'm using is right around the corner..... No car needed!!! :d:d:d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom