Pony bottle instead of an octopus for Initial certification!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too would tend to steer away from the pony at this point simply because it might be a bit too much gear to handle at the open water stage. That being said, if he wants it & acknowledges that it's something that he'll have to take with him EVERY time he gets in the water... more power to him.

Meanwhile, turnerjd I have some responses to your post:

"1) all the instructors / dm's are increadably familiar with the course kit, and rely on this knowledge when fixing problems underwater - they might not want people changeing things (for me this isn't a problem, but for some it might be)"

There is no standard "course kit". Other than personal gear, the only things you can be certain of are that the diver will have a BC, a reg, console/gauges, a weighting system, and an alternate air source. What the configuration will be is strictly up to the individual. Ergo we dive professsionals MUST be ready, willing, and able to handle whatever problems arise with whatever gear is there. It's our JOB to make sure we familiarize ourselves with the students' set up.

"3) Peer pressure - The instructor won't want a novice using kit he doesn't have will he? - how many PADI instructors have you seen in stoney with a pony? (personally only 1 - and he only uses it on AOW deep dives)"

I'm hoping this is purely tongue-in-cheek. Otherwise you had better pray you never wind up with ME as your Instructor! Oh... did I mention that I'll be in the UK in March? :devilish:

"6) The instructor might request that he does the whole course (inc pool sesions) with the pony, so than he doesn't have a different setup for the open water dives. Pool sessions with a pony on an open water course (in a 1.8m pool) sound increadibly stoopid - he will probably be flailing about all over the place. "

You'd better believe I'd have this student using this setup in the pool. In fact, Standards REQUIRE that the student have an AA; type is not mandated. And if that's what he intends to dive with, that's what he should be learning with. But I would NEVER call a student "stoopid" or make them feel uncomfortable about their equipment. If it's a SAFE SETUP and that's what they want to use, then it's MY JOB and that of my DM or AI to show them how to use it properly.

Now... how long did you say you've been a DM? And do you plan on being an Instuctor? Maybe I'll have you for an IDC.... :wink:

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom