Pony Bottle usage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
Just give up, Don, and drink the kool-aid. :D
Nah, you'd want me to donate the reg in my mouth - ain't happening. The yellow one is for the needy. :eyebrow:

I looooooooove mine. AL30cf and AL40cf

I have been diving for 15 years and never gave having one a second thought. Then I went diving in the lake and found some grottos that had no air in them at 60fsw.

My girlfriend had just gotten certified and thought it would be cool to borrow a "small bottle" from a friend of mine take my girl and show her how air displaces water, pop up into it, take out our regs and have a brief conversation!

She was blown away by this and it really gave her the bug for diving. Her favorite part was watching the column of bubbles I made by freeflowing the reg.

She is smart and it taught her how to stop a free flow and how much air is really lost in a brief "free-flow" situation.

As for me something really cool happened: just by having this bottle slung I received this incredible "safe" and "calm" feeling that I never felt before. As I was diving to the grotto I really felt truly "pepared"!

Not only that but the AL40 has some float to it so it actually helped me trim out perfectly! I ended the dive with more air vs bottom time than any other dive ive done.

As a result I ened up researching "tech diving" cause I had originally thought that was all stages were for. Now I am advanced nitrox cert. Extended range and truly having a blast diving as opposed to just following the leader.

Not to mention I found all you all here at SB as a result!

... Bob, your calculations look a bit confusing and don't seem to work out right by my mind. You "show" that a 30cf pony is sufficient gas for 220 ft? ...
Yah, it is a tad confusing. All the formula shows is that 29 cubic feet of gas will last for about 2½ minutes if you stay at 220 feet.

The point is that its probably good to have a slightly larger bailout than you may think. :wink:

I use a 30cf for any dive below 60 ft. I like having the extra air for equipment failure. I have never had to use it but it is there if needed. A real eye opener for me is when I started to divemaster for class and during the freeflow excerise you see how fast your air supply can go away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom