Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunno but in Jersey pretty much everyone dives a pony or doubles. You either sling it or mount it on your back. Dunno about people saying that if you have a pony you are going to die, but Im sure those are the same people who say that if you dont dive a 7ft hose your going to die. The only thing that MIGHT be dangerous is that a pony bottle can give a false sense of security. Its important to remember that this is for emergency situations only and not a reason for getting more bottom time. Definitely practice diving a few times before heading out. There are a number of things diving with a pony will effect; weight, trim, extra hoses, etc. So its important to be comfortable diving with one.

No clue why your LDS said that...it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It's a personal choice if you dive with or without a pony. I dive with and without a pony and it all depends on what I'm doing.

Traveling, warm water, nothing below say 100' and no danger of entanglements, no mandatory deco's, no wrecks I might want to go play around or on, and I find it to be a PITA to travel with though others may disagree with me.

Colder water, low vis, wreck diving, entanglements, deco dives, student dives, and a few other types, I always dive with a pony.

Practicing with a pony is no different than practicing with an Octo. It's something you should do anyways at least the begining of every dive season (like a check out dive for your gear). Make sure the exhaust is down and your good.

Here's the "reality" of "it"....You and your buddy are diving and in all probability your air consumption is going to be similar because you're doing the same profile. He/she runs out of air and now wants to breathe on your _____ (fill in the blank).

Alternate air SOURCE? (Octo on your tank)
Alternate air SUPPLY? (Pony, seperate Reg/Seperate Supply)

So...Pony or Octo?

Dangerous...thats just stupid. It's safer than Octo's if you ask me and makes better sense given the scenario I just gave you.

It's an opinion, not fact. Think about why you'd want to use your Octo (source) and replace it that same scenario with a Pony (supply) and figure out if which one you'd want your dive buddy to have for YOU.

hudson:
Well, if you are diving with a single second stage on both the backgas and the pony, then the pony has to be part of your rockbottom reserve.
Go figure, I *don't* dive in that config. :D

(Well, somebody had to say it, and I *did* use smileys, eh? :rofl3:)

I dive a 19 cf pony but only when I dive 60 ft or deeper around wrecks or other entanglement points. It is absolutly not for penetrating the wreck and it is not to extend my bottom time. It is meant for redundancy incase of a failure of the primary setup or entanglement to buy some extra time if needed. I hope I never need it but it sure will be nice to have if I am stuck and this will buy me the extra time I need.

This is my standard response to someone who asks how I feel about using a pony bottle:

There are 3 rules that I have come to live by in my 16 years of emergency work, including many operations in extremely hazardous environments:

“Never say never”:
You can greatly reduce the risk of bad things happening through training and planning, but you cannot completely eliminate the unexpected. Those who say that they will never have an out of air emergency because they are well trained/experienced or good at planning are asking for trouble. Just because it has not happened to you yet, does not mean that it never will. Always plan for the worst, to lessen the chance that a problem at depth will become a fatal one. As a confined space rescue instructor, I will never make entry into a low oxygen or toxic environment without my bail out bottle. It is not a crutch, but a safety tool in the event of a catastrophic failure of my main system.

“It ain’t over till its over”:
If I ever find myself in an OOA situation underwater, I will use every tool that I have to get to the surface. If I was at 130 fsw, I’d sure as heck try the ascent with a 6 cu ft pony bottle, or even a Spare Air if that’s all I had, over an ESA any day, and I have little doubt that I’d make it to the surface. It may not be a safe 60’ per minute ascent and I would be risking other, treatable dive maladies, but it is far better than the alternative. DCI is treatable, remaining underwater with no air to breathe is 100% fatal. That being said, I would never depend on a bottle that small at that depth. But to those who say that you would be better off with nothing at all on rec dives, I must disagree.

“Simpler is safer”
The less complicated something is, the less likely you (as a human) are to screw things up, and the less humans you have in your "chain of survival", the less likely things are to go wrong. If you or your buddy end up in an OOA situation, it is almost always better to resolve the situation yourself rather than ascend connected to a buddy. The rate of double accidents on shared air ascents testifies to this. Some divers here say that they train regularly with their buddies on sharing air, etc, and this is certainly the right thing to do, as long as you practice with everyone you dive with. But most people don’t do this, and it will not help with the unknown dive buddy that you are paired with on the boat against your will. But of even greater concern to me is the fact that you never know how someone is going to react when faced with a sudden emergency until they are actually faced with it. Training and practice certainly help, but at least twice now I’ve seen divers bolt toward the surface with eyes as big as saucers. I certainly don’t want to be attached to that person when he runs out of air. And I’ve seen several more do it from hazardous environments on land, despite literally hundreds of hours of training. You simply do not know for sure when someone is going to panic.

Anyway, don't let anyone tell you that you are less of a diver because you choose to use a pony bottle. The bottom line is self sufficiency. You can enjoy buddy diving, be a good dive buddy, and still be self sufficient. If your buddy needs you, you are there. But if he can resolve the problem using self sufficiency, even better. Safe diving involves planning, and that means planning for the unexpected. A fully redundant air supply is a valid part of that equation.

The pony bottle gets bad press for several reasons, one is the name, I prefer buddy bottle. This leads to the real reason, the abc dive agencies fear the buddy bottle because they know it leads to diver independence/self rescue which solidly confronts directly the number one tenant of diving--don't dive alone or you will die--as if saying something over and over makes it true. The pony bottle is a full frontal assualt on the industries sacred mantra and they fully realize that independent divers may well become solo divers and thus they do everything in their power to come up with strange and twisted reasoning and plant it deeply into the grey matter of all who will listen.

If you want a pony bottle then get one and learn how to use it and how to rig it and think it all clearly through and then stick to your plan and let not the nanny sayers deflect you from your worthy goal of diver self rescue and independence whether you dive with a buddy or not.

N

That's odd. I first learned about ponies (independant scuba, if you will) in my NAUI Scuba Diver book. (That's the entry-level NAUI course.) As I recall, the book said it was a good idea...

I hope what your LDS was referring to is that when used as a crutch in the hands of someone who has no idea how to rig it, sling/mount it and then deploy it, they can be dangerous. If that isn't what they meant, I'd seriously consider never taking their advice on anything.

Just like any piece of scuba gear, it has its place. If you feel you need an element of redundancy beyond your buddy, it is an option. Doubles are another option. Regardless of how much redundancy you decide you need and how you decide to carry it, make sure you learn how to use it! Don't just slap on a pony bottle and expect that when things go wrong you'll just magically be able to use it. Ain't gonna happen. If it is the option you decide to go with, maintain it properly, dive with it regularly and practice deploying it on a regular basis.

With that said, here is how I currently dive. I dive with a slung bail-out bottle on many of my dives, especially deep, cold or with new buddies. I've carried it enough and used it enough that I feel confident I can go to it in an emergency. I chose a 30 cf tank so that I know I'll have enough air to ascend from any recreational depth. I sling it on my left side so that I can see both the 1st and 2nd stage, read the depth gauge and can keep an eye on it throughout the dive. I dive a bp/w with a hogarthian harness, so it is perfectly designed to sling a bottle on either side. It is for redundancy only. It is not factored into my gas plan and it is not donated to an OOA diver. That's what my primary on a 7' hose is for and then I go to my alternate. The bailout bottle is a last, final option and is for self rescue.

I dive a 40 Cu Ft Pony, but do fairly deep dives regularly around 90 - 110 feet within NDL. It is there only for redundancy for my buddy or in case of a failure with my primary tank which is a HP steel 120. In case of problems I would use the Pony and come to the surface at a safe ascent rate and with the requisite safety stops. I do not use the Pony gas to plan my dive.

Back
Top Bottom