Pony thoughts (I know prob beaten to death)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The buddy system is a fallacy. In theory, it is a great system. If you have a good buddy, AND you and your buddy ALWAYS stay at arm's length during the ENTIRE dive, then a good buddy may be all you need.

How many divers have you seen that do this? Me? None, ever.

Hmmm...sounds like your dive buddies need a better dive buddy.

:eyebrow:

Ever concider an "H" valve? That will give you 2 first, and second stages. I have one on my steel 120's. I do occasionally take a 30ft pony on deep, and or solo dives.

Nice to be married of a robot that despite acting predictable 99.9999% of the time still may occasionally make a mistake.

Ive never yet met a human being that hasn't made a single mistake in their lives or can guarantee with 100% certainty they wont ever make one.

Hi, my name is Hockeynut.:D:rofl3:

Ever concider an "H" valve? That will give you 2 first, and second stages. I have one on my steel 120's. I do occasionally take a 30ft pony on deep, and or solo dives.

It is not truely redundant though. Does that satify the boat captains?

"6cf is pointless"
That comment is exactly what I'm talking about, but I do appreciate your opinion.
I've researched it, I'VE TESTED IT, and for the type of diving I was doing and the ease of transport for travel in my carry-on the 6 cu ft. fit the bill exactly. It may not be for you, or for everyone, but to say a 6 cu ft. is pointless is a poor blanket statement.
As a new diver, and reading comments like yours, I was concerned about a 6 cu ft. not being big enough for what I wanted to use it for, so I tested it. Turns out - it works great for what I wanted it to do. So the moral of the story is - Test it for yourself and don't believe everything you read.

You need a redundant air source. An H-valve provides redundant access (regulator) to a single air source (the tank.)

Slightly similar but different approach: Go with a 40cf sling bottle as your bail-out bottle for the time being. Plenty of gas for any sort of "oh-s**t" emergency, and if/when you do go to doubles you've already got a 40cf bottle for deco.

Good idea, I will go along with that.. Its a good start. It seems that if we are taking the thread into the Jersey diving equation there will be different variables all together. :D

If I go Pony, I would likely go with a 30cf.
I believe they have 30's and 16's at my LDS and for the price the 30 seems to be a better deal.

Another question now with everyone talking slings. Does everyone sling, or do people use "Pony Tamers" or X brackets?
The slings seem like a great Idea for ease of handoff if needed, I just cant see how that is comfortable without diving it to see.
Do people side sling mostly then? Or front sling horizontally?

Great points and opinions guys. I appreciate all the help.

I've never had a Captain question me about it. Even when I'm the DM on the trip.

If I go Pony, I would likely go with a 30cf.
I believe they have 30's and 16's at my LDS and for the price the 30 seems to be a better deal.

Another question now with everyone talking slings. Does everyone sling, or do people use "Pony Tamers" or X brackets?
The slings seem like a great Idea for ease of handoff if needed, I just cant see how that is comfortable without diving it to see.
Do people side sling mostly then?

30's and 40's usually slung. Most folks tank mount 19's or smaller.

Slung bottles are usually clipped from left shoulder d-ring to left hip d-ring. When you are horizontal diving the bottle sits under your left arm and you truly don't even notice it is there.

Check into the 40cf. Your shop will have them too. They are only a few dollars more than a 30cf and much more useful down the line if you get into tech/deco stuff later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom