Pony thoughts (I know prob beaten to death)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple this with a 50lb/bag luggage restriction and the 6 cu ft starts to look pretty good.
Thanks,

Get yourself a spare air. Saves more weight from having the built in reg.

Get yourself a spare air. Saves more weight from having the built in reg.

I was wondering when you would show up.

Never use the pony tank unless you need to resolve a MAJOR screw up in air planning. .

I will disagree, it is not a tool to use in place of proper planning, and no reason to screw up your air planning. A pony is for emergencies, and they should be caused by an equipment malfunction, not poor planning. I know, semantics, but hey, what is the internet all about??:D
...you should never us it unless your life depends on it. It is NOT a means to extend a dive due to a depleted primary source

Absolutely. For emergencies, not extra bottom time. But should somebody want to use it for extra safety stop time, extra bottom time, whatever, who am I to say no?

...A pony is for emergencies, and they should be caused by an equipment malfunction, not poor planning....

Agreed, but the question I haven't been able to answer is, how likely are you to suffer a failure that will shut off you air?

If a failure is more likely to cause a freeflow, then you would have time to swim to your buddy or make an immediate ascent with, most probably, some sort of SS. Wouldn't you???

Deep or deco would be different.

I'm still sitting on the fence! :coffee:

Agreed, but the question I haven't been able to answer is, how likely are you to suffer a failure that will shut off you air?

If a failure is more likely to cause a freeflow, then you would have time to swim to your buddy or make an immediate ascent with, most probably, some sort of SS. Wouldn't you???

I tend to agree that failures that completely shut of the air supply are extremely rare. A few possibilities are debris in tank that blocks the dip tube or on regulators with a rotating turret, breakage of the turret bolt and loss of the turret and all IP hoses or breakage of the first stage spring. Even with failure of the primary reg IP hose a switch to the octo and hasty accent is possible.

Well, it depends how vigilant you and your buddy are about staying right on top of each other. A free flow can drain an AL80 from 3000 PSI to 0 in a really shocking short amount of time at 10 feet. Now imagine you are getting close to ending a dive at 80 feet and you free flow and your buddy got distracted by a pretty fish? Realistically you may only have 10 to 15 seconds before the tank runs dry, and if you exhaled just before that happened? In the tropics with an insta-buddy you may not get to him/her in time...

Edit- you might be able to get to the surface from 60-80 feet uf you had a free flow at the start of the dive, however you will have no time to do a safety stop and would have to rush the ascent faster than I like to go for sure. If you purge your octo you can leterally watch the needle drop...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom