Pony use when assisting an OOA diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg, in a real life situation it ain't gonna work like you and your buddy practice it ... you most likely aren't going to have time or bandwidth to be monitoring your pressure gauge ... you're gonna be too busy managing a diver who is probably gonna be struggling with their buoyancy control, and trying to just get to the surface without hurting yourself. Practing air-shared ascents is all well and good ... but it's an artificial environment. In a real event, you're not gonna know what the other person's going to do, and even if it ultimately goes well you're going to be spending most of your effort paying attention to them because you don't know.

Thank you for reminding me of that, Bob :wink:. Last time I was involved in a semi-real OOG we did end up making a rather expeditious ascent (to the rest of the dive group's humor and our chagrin) but that would work perfectly in the context of this exercise :wink: .

Peace,
Greg

And how would you define Catastrophe? Personally I have seen few catastrophes but there are plenty of unexpected plan changes, Rock Bottom accounts for most of that but "When in doubt, whip it out."
Sometimes that type of doubtful reasoning is the cause of the catastrophe. :D
(I get trapped by a giant octopus or one of my ex-girlfriends finds me, whatever)
See previous statement. :wink:

My work here is finished. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Not if you still have anything left in your bottle. (Liquor bottle, not pony) :)

Sometimes that type of doubtful reasoning is the cause of the catastrophe. :D

See previous statement. :wink:

Very true, but the last time we encountered the giant octopus I had friends who made sure we enjoyed it :D

148354_180216171989008_100000018801405_644013_3355868_n.jpg

The most dangerous part was when the pretty blond gal in that pic was going Spartacus on him while he was all entangled in my gear :shakehead:

Peace,
Greg

And how would you define Catastrophe? Personally I have seen few catastrophes but there are plenty of unexpected plan changes, Rock Bottom accounts for most of that but "When in doubt, whip it out."

Blown burst disk, blown lp hose come to mind.

And if you don't think 10 minutes is enough time to sort out an issue: have your significant other bind you up with a durable rope, blindfold you, then hand you a knife and see how long it takes you to cut yourself free. Odds are you're going to spend most of your time watching the video they made of it and laughing at yourself.

Peace,
Greg

Kinky! :eyebrow:

Blown burst disk, blown lp hose come to mind.

Burst disk bothers me more than a hose blowing. You can kink the hose and stop or severely restrict the flow, just like with a garden hose.

Burst disk bothers me more than a hose blowing. You can kink the hose and stop or severely restrict the flow, just like with a garden hose.

Is this actually effective? I can't imagine kinking any hose with 150 lbs of Let Me Outta Here inside it. And both are gonna require a change of shorts no matter what.

Peace,
Greg

Is this actually effective? I can't imagine kinking any hose with 150 lbs of Let Me Outta Here inside it. And both are gonna require a change of shorts no matter what.

Peace,
Greg

It didn't work well for me - I went from 1000psi to 300psi in the time it took to surface from 16fsw. I'm not sure I had the grip to kink it, though.

Peace,
Greg

Yes. I've actually tried it when me and my buddies decided to test the whole "which is worse, a blown lp or hp hose?"

If you want to try it without cutting an old hose in half, hook your reg up to a tank, pressurize it, kink the hose then purge the reg.

I've never seen a hose completely blow either. I suppose it's possible, where you've got a broken end flapping around, but usually the covering lets go. Now a burst disk on the other hand, that's a pretty eye opening experience...

Very true, but the last time we encountered the giant octopus I had friends who made sure we enjoyed it :D

148354_180216171989008_100000018801405_644013_3355868_n.jpg

The most dangerous part was when the pretty blond gal in that pic was going Spartacus on him while he was all entangled in my gear :shakehead:

Peace,
Greg

That would be a little one around here.

The octo, I mean ... not your lady friend ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom