Pony's best configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thekoz

Registered
Reaction score
I have an 13CF Pony bottle and was wondering what configurations work the best? Pro's and Con's please. tank mount? sling , waist mount? neck ring with clip?

I tend to carry mine side mount for two reasons

1: It is easy to get to, turn on and off, check the gauge and it is comfortable.

2: If I need to I can hand the entire pony to my buddy in an OOA emergency

Note: I only ever carry a pony on dives below 100ft

Personally, I wouldn't want to go below 70 feet without a redundant air source on my person. Buddy skills and all that, sure, but I don't trust my buddy *that* [edit: emphasized that] much.

I'll probably try to pick up a 13 or 19cf next summer and sling it off the left side, see how that goes. I much prefer the mechanics of that over tank mounting.

I use the ponease bottle mount. it easily mounts on to the main tank band, is very secure, and easily mounted/dismounted.

my configuration has the bottle mounted with the valve down so that all i have to do is just let my right arm fall back and my hand is on the valve. thats handy if my reg starts to freeflow for any reason.

personally i do every dive with my pony. basically for two reasons. one, i believe if you are constantly changing your configuration it will come to bite you in an emergency situation.

two, most dives (even with a buddy) are in reality solo dives. i just came back from St. thomas and went out with a great crew. there were never more than 8 and never less than 5 divers on a trip. everyone buddied up in two and threes, but once they hit the water...they all spread out. if i had experienced an ooa situation i would have in reality been on my own. and actually, that seems to be the norm on most dives i have been on. i travel alone most of the time 99.99999999999999% but those that dont and have "dedicated" buddies just dont seem to stay near them.

most agencies will say diving is a "team" sport and i have no problem with that.....but.....my life is my responsibility...not any agency, other diver , or boat crew.

hope it didnt seem to dark an answser for ya!!
dive safe...dive prepared

If you are going to dive with people who have horrible buddy skills, and must use a pony, then sling it like a stage bottle. Do not waste your money on any of those super gadget mounting devices. Also, do not use a takno ring of any sort. Metal to metal connections are bad!

Proper training and diving with people who know what "Dive team" and "buddy" mean are probably your best bet.

I have a 30 cubic foot pony that I carry stage slung. I listened to the members of the board that prefer doubles (a.k.a. Ebay mount your pony and get doubles) or H-valves for redundancy but discarded those solutions as impractical in my situation. It is difficult if not impossible to rent doubles or tanks with H-valves when traveling, but I can take the pony in checked baggage, not to mention that fact that I am not prepared to buy two sets of doubles for two dive boat trips.

I usually only take the pony if I’m going deeper than 50 feet, the reason being that I think a controlled swimming ascent becomes impractical below 50 feet. I have never used the pony and since it is for bail out contingency only, hope I never will. The only time the reg on it is used is for during the pre-dive checkout and training/practice.

The sling mount is cumbersome out of the water but hardly noticeable once you’re in the water. I like the fact that the gauge and the valve are right in front of me where I can see them. I like that this mount is totally independent of the primary cylinder and works equally well with my HP120s or aluminum 80 rentals.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom