Poor briefing and going off line in Cenotes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTo the poster who asked, there were 3 of us plus the Guide, and he did have double tanks.

All I can picture is Rambo and a tourist going into battle. Rambo has belt-fed machine gun and the tourist has a pointy stick and a T-Shirt that says "I'm with him".

It's nice the DM had doubles, but if you happen to be out of air and not near the DM, it's not especially useful.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2013 at 10:32 PM ----------

Special thanks for posting this - it amazes me that PADI will happily certify divers as OW/AOW without giving any of these warnings to new divers.

While "don't go inside anything" is certainly mentioned (at least with SSI), all the big certification agencies play down the dangers and potential for death, so it's not surprising you don't remember it.

flots

I've seen "no overhead" completely glossed over by PADI and SDI instructors. Maybe its because I trained in an area not known for caves and DM where there are no overhead environments but I don't see much spoken about overhead dangers and while the PADI OW mentions it, I don't think its emphasized. I remember not really even knowing what an overhead dive was when I first heard that term after being a certified diver for awhile.
I do believe, despite a few accidents, that Mexico has an excellent safety record with their Cenote tours.

The essence of the cavern dives is that you can always see the exit, even if it's a ways away. If the DM goes where you don't want to go, you refuse to follow him and YOU STAY ON THE LINE. But if the line is taking you away from the light, you turn around and go back towards it. If you swim to the light, you will always get out.

Also, when cavern or cave diving, every diver has the right to call the dive no matter what the reason. This information is part of the standard cavern dive briefing given by cavern guides.

Thanks for speaking up about your experience, CatBalou. Perhaps your story will help divers visiting the Yucatan to make sure they have a safe and comfortable dive in the cenotes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom