Poor Students, or Poor instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by sharpenu
Ok, next time, if you prefer, I can just pick up my cell and dial *FMP and have the marine patrol waiting to arrest him when we get back to the dock? I think that instructors are NOT Gods. Some may think they are, but they are mistaken. The attitude that I can't question someone because they are an instructor and I am not sounds as if I should somehow not question my "betters". First, I was chewing him out on a subject that has nothing to do with diving. Second, I don't care WHO you are. If you are wrong, you are wrong. I have no "moral", legal or other responsibility to ANY instructor from any agency.

And, BTW, next time I DO call the FMP and I told him so. We have enough problems with reefs dying and bleaching around here without divers ruining the very thing they are there to enjoy. I saw some complaints about stripping historical wrecks on the other thread. How is that any different? What about the instructor I saw telling his student to scrape the eggs off of the lobster he just brought up so he can keep it? I guess I can't question him in public, either?

By all means- DO CALL THE FMP (I dont know what it is, but it sounds like our "park rangers"). If he did something wrong he should be punished for it. About the chewing- My opinion is that it's wrong to "chew" in public. I think it's better to do it privately, and in a more quiet way. Chewing him like you did probobly had the only result of you feeling better and nothiung else. In my work as instructor, I had many times to "chew" on junior instructors and divemasters. I'd take them to a remote place, sit with them and discuss what they did wrong and how to improve it. It worked much better. The point about you not being an instructor is the smallest. I personaly will not chew in public someone that is more certified than me and therefore may have considerations that I am not aware of.

If you're ever in Ohio, look me up I'll dive with you! We could cruise Gilboa Quarry, it has a nice shallow side that's great for beginning divers.
Ber :bunny:

Im a newly certified diver (PADI), and fairly new to Scubaboard. In my short time here I have seen and read numerous posts of "PADI BASHING". Im not real sure what to make of it. IMHO I believe much of it is just jealousy. Most of the bashing Ive seen appears to come from older more experienced divers who began diving before PADI was formed. Before PADI and before every 16 year old kid starting diving, they were on a pedestal. They were included in a what was a limited group of divers, which earned them respect and honor.

When PADI came along, all of a sudden the world of diving is opened up to everyone.....14 year old girls, 12 year old boys, soccer moms, etc., and all of a sudden thier "diving guru" days are over......and they dont like it! Okay, so thats oversimplifying it a bit, but I think its at the root none the less.

Those who complain about PADI seem to try to mask thier complaints by saying the instructors are bad, or the students are dumb, etc., but if you read closely (as Drew does) you can easily pick out that thier bias is really against PADI itself.

I went thru the PADI program and I feel extremely confident that I was given excellent instruction and training. Of course you can have bad instructors....bad students. You can have those in any other certifying agency as well. You cant fault the system for that!! Every student has to take it upon himself to take the course seriously. PADI cant make them. If the student doesnt take the course seriously then its up to the instructor to flunk them. If the instructor fails to do so, its still not PADI's fault!!

Dont blame the system...blame the participants!

Hey Scubydo,

I don't fit your profile of "Diving God". I don't even think "many" here on the board fit that description, nor would they claim to.

However, "many" of us are alarmed at the level of expertise of the divers we see around us. Personally, I feel that the system, while not broke, is certainly flawed. "Many" of us also feel that the certifying agency is less important than the instructor... that means it's the insrtuctor's fault.

There are really few PADI bashers around... hey most of us on this board learned to dive PADI first. Heck, I am a PADI Dive Master and the only other cert I have from any other agency is my Dan Oxy Provider. So if I am going to comment on how I think an agency works/does not work, who am I going to be able to comment on? PADI! And ONLY PADI!!! If most on this board are like me and can only comment on the PADI system, then MOST of the "horror" stories are going to be PADI by default.

I am NOT a PADI basher, but I do see many areas I would like them to improve. Merely being critical of ALL agencies and pointing out specific flaws in PADI does not make me a PADI basher.

Back
Top Bottom