Poor Visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not bad vis until you can't read your gauges!

That's why I got one of those damn "Pilot" computers some years back<G>.

Mfalco,

There is an old saying that goes something like this (please forgive me if I misquote)

"That which does not kill me serves only to make me stronger."

Diving in those conditions, it taken as a challenge and a learning lesson, serve only to make your diving skills and techniques stronger.

Always take that which seems to be a negative and make a positive of it.

the K

“What does not kill me makes me stronger.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (28 August 1749 – 22 March 1832) German novelist, dramatist, poet, humanist, scientist, philosopher, and for ten years chief minister of state at Weimar.

mfalco:
What do you do when you run into such poor visibility? Abort the dive?

Dive.

Just like being blacked out in a cave...

Abort until you or your buddy gain enough experience to go deeper under those conditions. Most likely it would clear up to at least 5 or 6 feet and hopefully more.

During bad viz the first 15 to 30 feet are usually must worse that the viz deeper.

Of course if you want or need practice in near zero viz then continue with the dive.

My 2nd dive in Hood canal we hit a layer of zero viz about 25 feet down and we just kept going down and it cleared up around 45 feet. Soon as we got below it viz was around 25-30 feet.

mfalco:
We were in the ocean. I did notice that it seemed to get a little clearer when I went down deeper, but my buddy didn't feel comfortable diving with the poor visibility.

Think your buddy is right why risk it in a sport dive if visibility is poor? If your a expert diver then go for it but if not your just playing with your life. There is no reason for average divers to be sport diving in poor visibility without a expert/instructor just more things to go wrong and things you can't see, call me out for saying this but I remember someone who went for a dive like this with bad visibility and ended up getting cought in a fish net went panic and ended up drowning.

gcbryan:
Abort until you or your buddy gain enough experience to go deeper under those conditions. Most likely it would clear up to at least 5 or 6 feet and hopefully more.

Can't say it better then that great advice :D

Always descending,
c.h.

It really depends. If I expect the visibility to be really bad then I try to dive with only a single buddy, no "team" diving. There is no margn for the give and take of keeping 3 or more divers in viusal contact.

Sometimes swimming out or a depth change will get you into better condtions.

If there is alot of surge as is often the case and I need to swim with my mask right on the bottom for a visual reference I may get out before getting slammed into a ledge. This can be my biggest concern when skin-diving where I need to stak close to rocky shore-lines to see anything at all.

Drills are a good idea.

When you say, "this isn't and fun" get out. If your are truly concerned, get out.

Diving not too far from the north of you I can picture just what you ran into. You will learn that some sites will get worse than others. You also ralize that the uncommon recent rains have loaded coastal waters withh river silt laden runoff.

Remember this is supposed to be fun and must be safe.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom