Popular Specialities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an Instructor, I have taught Dry, Night, Nav, Wreck, and Oxygen Provider/DAN Adv O2. All PADI except the DAN course. I will be teaching a Deep class probably in January. I have certified one MSD so far. I do not certify MSDs unless I have a certain level of familiarity and have "interveiwed" them. I encourage Nav, Night, Enriched Air (have not taught, but will soon) and Deep or Wreck at the absolute minimum for MSD. The other 1-2 courses are up to the student. I want my sign-off to count for something with the student that goes MSD. I am a relateively new instructor (18 months), but have seen a wide gamut of level and interest.

If the interest is there, the level can get there. I have found newer divers like the Night and Deep a lot. It gives them comfort to have someone with more experience nearby, but I find more experienced divers typically do not want/care to have the Night or Deep specialty. Enriched Air seems universally desired. I think Nav is probably one of the better certs. I agree with other posters that Boat and Naturalist are not as desired. Naturalist may be if you are in a high tourist area. Digi Photo is a great one to have. I have not actually taught one, but have co-taught. I am still learning the cameras and do not feel I should teach something I am not very skilled at. I can however co-teach with a freind that is a stud at Photoshop and cameras.

So recap... specialities I would look at are Night, Nav, Deep, Enriched Air, if you are in a "cooler" climate, Dry. Throw in Wreck if you can, and Digi-Photo if you TRULY think you can add value to teach it.

Hope that helps.. Congrats on the impending DM / IDC and big props to you for looking into all this so thoroughly before pulling the trigger. Taking the specialties will really help as you progress through DM/IDC. It will help also when you teach, beacuse instead of doing some things for the first time, you will have seen someone else teach it and you can learn good from bad from them.

Personally, I would do. Eanx [Nitrox], Deep, Dry Suit, Wreck and any other one. Maybe Search and Recovery. That is my personal opinion anyways
Good Luck in anything you choose.
Regards,
Sam

I actually got my MSD rating earlier this year (I didn't feel too bad shelling out $40 for the card, as I had lost my Rescue diver card years ago, and it wasn't that much additional burden beyond the fee for the replacement card). Two minor things that stand out in my mind:

- My instructor (who is no greenhorn) told me that I was the first MSD he had ever certified. That surprised me.

- When I did the Search & Recovery specialty, my instructor for that course (different guy) said that was the first time he had certified someone for S&R. So I am guessing that one is not especially popular. Certainly the PADI S&R manual didn't look especially cutting edge.

Certainly the PADI S&R manual didn't look especially cutting edge.
I've never seen a PADI manual that could be described as "cutting edge" - usually, they're more like, "Dick and Jane go diving" :)

I've never seen a PADI manual that could be described as "cutting edge" - usually, they're more like, "Dick and Jane go diving" :)

That's a bit harsh. I thought the Nitrox manual was pretty well put together. But a lot of the others leave a bit to be desired, it is true (although S&R I think was the low point).

However, every PADI video I have ever seen (except Nitrox, again) was apparently made by people who were kicked off Miami Vice because their mullets were too bad even for the 80s. Makes it a bit difficult to take them seriously. I think they should get David Hasselhoff to direct a new series of them...

However, every PADI video I have ever seen (except Nitrox, again) was apparently made by people who were kicked off Miami Vice because their mullets were too bad even for the 80s. Makes it a bit difficult to take them seriously. I think they should get David Hasselhoff to direct a new series of them...
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH. Now that's priceless comedy :)

The PADI manuals i find generally OK - FAR better than other agencies i can think of.

Its the videos/DVDs with the 1980s mullets and colour co-ordinating wetsuits and snorkels that make me cringe. That and the happy-slappy high-five american style exagarration on them anyway.

Go team!

If the interest is there, the level can get there. I have found newer divers like the Night and Deep a lot. It gives them comfort to have someone with more experience nearby, but I find more experienced divers typically do not want/care to have the Night or Deep specialty. Enriched Air seems universally desired. I think Nav is probably one of the better certs. I agree with other posters that Boat and Naturalist are not as desired. Naturalist may be if you are in a high tourist area. Digi Photo is a great one to have. I have not actually taught one, but have co-taught. I am still learning the cameras and do not feel I should teach something I am not very skilled at. I can however co-teach with a freind that is a stud at Photoshop and cameras.

So recap... specialities I would look at are Night, Nav, Deep, Enriched Air, if you are in a "cooler" climate, Dry. Throw in Wreck if you can, and Digi-Photo if you TRULY think you can add value to teach it.

Hope that helps.. Congrats on the impending DM / IDC and big props to you for looking into all this so thoroughly before pulling the trigger. Taking the specialties will really help as you progress through DM/IDC. It will help also when you teach, beacuse instead of doing some things for the first time, you will have seen someone else teach it and you can learn good from bad from them.

Out of curiosity, why do you think UW Nav is a good specialty? Do you get a lot of students who want it, or is there another reason? I'm kind of on the fence about that class because on one hand, instruction never hurts as long as the information is accurate, but on the other hand navigation seems like one of those things that you just need to practice.

Naturalist I do agree on, but as previously stated, if a marine biologist is teaching it and goes above & beyond PADI's requirements then it can be an extremely good class.

I actually got my MSD rating earlier this year (I didn't feel too bad shelling out $40 for the card, as I had lost my Rescue diver card years ago, and it wasn't that much additional burden beyond the fee for the replacement card). Two minor things that stand out in my mind:

- My instructor (who is no greenhorn) told me that I was the first MSD he had ever certified. That surprised me.

- When I did the Search & Recovery specialty, my instructor for that course (different guy) said that was the first time he had certified someone for S&R. So I am guessing that one is not especially popular. Certainly the PADI S&R manual didn't look especially cutting edge.

That's kind of a bummer since every Rescue Diver would benefit from having S&R, as would anyone who's prone to losing stuff. :p I'm definitely going to get S&R when I have the time.

:rofl3:

That's a bit harsh. I thought the Nitrox manual was pretty well put together. But a lot of the others leave a bit to be desired, it is true (although S&R I think was the low point).

The PADI manuals i find generally OK - FAR better than other agencies i can think of.

Its the videos/DVDs with the 1980s mullets and colour co-ordinating wetsuits and snorkels that make me cringe. That and the happy-slappy high-five american style exagarration on them anyway.

Agreed. The PADI DVDs are just atrocious. I refused to either purchase or watch the Rescue Diver and Divemaster ones since I had the option...the Open Water one was enough to make me almost gouge my eyes out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom