Port Closures ... increased?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of deaths last week just after port closing may have Port Captain be more conservative so may not take 25km/hr.
Wasn't the port already closed when those incidents happened and the boat captains were ignoring it?

Wasn't the port already closed when those incidents happened and the boat captains were ignoring it?
I believe both were already out when the port closed and they stretched it. This is not that unusual as I have seen boats in the past try to get out before a closure and return late. From several other comments I have read it appears to have come in on time as predicted but hard with the leading edge of the front acting like a Texas Squall line.

Curious--by "port closure" are we talking about just small dive boats or do the ferries also stop running? Wondering if that's going to be a concern for me as I have a pretty tight window to catch the last ferry from PDC in a couple weeks. While not ideal to miss diving, I'm trying to get over to see some friends and really would hate to delay that.

Curious--by "port closure" are we talking about just small dive boats or do the ferries also stop running? Wondering if that's going to be a concern for me as I have a pretty tight window to catch the last ferry from PDC in a couple weeks. While not ideal to miss diving, I'm trying to get over to see some friends and really would hate to delay that.
Ferry runs when port closed and until unsafe to do so.

Example

There are degrees of port closures. Under the most restrictive closures the ferries are shut down as well, but that doesn't happen very often.

I believe both were already out when the port closed and they stretched it. This is not that unusual as I have seen boats in the past try to get out before a closure and return late. From several other comments I have read it appears to have come in on time as predicted but hard with the leading edge of the front acting like a Texas Squall line.
I have been on the island for a couple of those; one minute it is dead calm and the next the wind is blowing like a banshee and waves are crashing onshore. When that happens, though, you can usually see it coming an hour or more away; a sea savvy boat captain should not need to wait for a port closure announcement to see that he needs to head for a safe harbor.

My understanding was that the ferries were shut down last week for a bit due to conditions at the PDC end.

Back
Top Bottom