Port debate: NA-EPL3, 9-18, 12-50, 60, and flexability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ProfF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

Will appreciate your insights about what is the best combo to go after. I have an E-PL3, kit lens (14-42mm) and the lenses mentioned above. Currently I also have the NA-EPL3 with the flat port (for 14-42mm) and 4" dome (for 9-18mm), and two wet lens diopters that I am using with the flat port and the kit lens. I am debating how to fit the newly acquired 12-50mm and 60mm lens. The idea is to combine versatility when I am going for a dive (say on a trip to the Maldive) vs. specialization when I am going for a known aim (e.g., macro shots at the home reef).

Right now I see two options:

1) Buy the 12-50 port + gear + flip-on 67mm.

pros:

• This port+gear will allow me to use all the 12-50 functions, with their great versatility.
  • The flip-on enables super macro.
  • The 60mm will fit behind this port and hopefully have good optical behavior (any reports?)

cons:

• Expensive. Cost about 1000$ USD (800$ for port+gear, 220$ for flip-on).
  • The gear is so complex, that once I "build" it on the lens I don't see myself removing it.
  • One more port in my camera bag.
  • Quality of wide-angle behind the flat port (any experience there?)

2) Use my 4" dome + flip-on for this port + home-made zoom gear for 12-50

pros:

• Much cheaper ($300).
  • Less complex --- one port stays on the camera most of the time (wide, macro, versatile).
  • Easier for travel.

cons:

• I am not sure how well the 60mm (or the 12-50mm) work with diopters on this port (haven't seen any report). I assume that there is a reason why nauticam built this flip on adapter.
  • Lose macro mode of the 12-50 (AFAIK and tested, the menu controls to switch the lens to/from macro mode on the OM-D do not work on the E-PL3).
  • Need to built zoom gear for the 12-50. I enlisted my wife who is a 3D design expert to print a zoom gear. The first printed prototype is promising, but needs more work. Main worry is whether the final print (in ABS rather than modeling polymer) will be strong enough for long use.
  • The 4" dome is acrylic, and I am worried about scratches, especially when using it for macro (when you try to get close to things).

I am currently leaning toward starting with option #2. I will appreciate your comments/views, in particular in dispelling wrong pros/cons or finding additional issues that I missed.

Thanks!

Nir

I use your option #2 for the 60mm macro and 9-18mm lens. Its the most cost effective.

How many times have you been able to get this system working successfully underwater and any pics please?
I haven't seen any images from the 60mm macro from behind a 4inch dome port yet and would be very interested in the results. . .
Bruce

I use your option #2 for the 60mm macro and 9-18mm lens. Its the most cost effective.

interesting

Yeah, yeah, I already know all that and have used an old 105mm Nikkor behind a dome for years, but i simply asked if you had any pictures taken by you, using the Olympus M4/3 60mm macro lens behind the 4inch dome port? Put up the pics, simple. . .

FYI: you may lose 25% magnification that a flat port gives you due to the refractive index of water. You may find the combination works better for photographing fish since you could get closer to them. And finally, using a dome port is theoretically supposed to result in less chromatic aberration.
Next time you want to photograph fish and large nudibranchs, give your macro lens a try behind a dome port!
Macro underwater photography with a dome port|Underwater Photography Guide

Last edited:
In your situation, I'll opt for the option 2.

We took some macro pic. with EPL-1 + 10bar semi dome port; not 60mm though, instead with cheapo superslow 35mm macro.
Here few example:

BRO_2.jpgPigmy.jpgpuffer_35mm.jpgsoft_coral8.jpgnudi_2_35mm.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I already know all that and have used an old 105mm Nikkor behind a dome for years, but i simply asked if you had any pictures taken by you, using the Olympus M4/3 60mm macro lens behind the 4inch dome port? Put up the pics, simple. . .
I just got the 60mm last week and don't have a dive trip scheduled for this year anymore. So next year I have some pics up :)

---------- Post Merged at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Very beautiful images. Looking fwd using my setup on my next trip.

In your situation, I'll opt for the option 2.

We took some macro pic. with EPL-1 + 10bar semi dome port; not 60mm though, instead with cheapo superslow 35mm macro.
Here few example:

View attachment 137818View attachment 137819View attachment 137820View attachment 137821View attachment 137822

I really feel that people should qualify their answers before other guys end up spending hard earned money after taking the advice from 'so-called' experts who haven't even used their equipment under water. I've said this before but geez, you have to be careful with some of the information thrown about on this forum by certain individuals. . . .
Bruce

Could you elaborate why you think it is not a good option? I given my opinion based on the question asked by OP based on what system I have now, not said I have used it or how it may perform, its just the most cost effective for me and it works (hence the 60mm fits in the 4" dome port). Just curious why you think it is not a good option?

I really feel that people should qualify their answers before other guys end up spending hard earned money after taking the advice from 'so-called' experts who haven't even used their equipment under water. I've said this before but geez, you have to be careful with some of the information thrown about on this forum by certain individuals. . . .
Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom