Port debate: NA-EPL3, 9-18, 12-50, 60, and flexability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to report my experience on upgrading from EPL1 to OM-5 that relates to the search for a flexible lens + port solution to allow some versatile shooting in unknown waters...

I got the Nauticam housing based on some recent feedback and on the single fact that the EVF is better implemented on the Nauticam.
I have the old 14-42mm, the 9-18mm, the 45mm Leica, and now the 12-50mm. I used with reasonable success the 14-42 on the Zen Port and an addon Epoque macro lens on the EPL1. So:
1) the 12-50 has a great range and in its Nauticam port provides that flexible solution some may be looking for
2) quality seems good even behind the flat 77mm port. A bit Chromatic aberration in the corners can be easily batch fixed afterward.
I compared against the 9-18mm in the 4" Nauticam semidome port and the quality result is similar at 12mm (24mm equìvalent)
3) together with the Epoque macro addon an object is about 1.3 to 1 the size achieved with the 45mm (2 to 1). Great achievement.
4) both the 4" port (with 9-18mm set at 9mm)) and the 12-50mm ports (with the 12-50mm set at 12mm) show very slight vignetting on the right side of the image when in RAW (but not in jpeg!)... This is what I dislike the most about the setup so far. I am not sure what causes this.
5) the e-zoom is slow but works fine except that its spring Nauticam gear is very hard. Probably just need to get used to it.
6) once you mounted the 12-50mm zoom/macro gear you have to disassemble it and this is not a fun thing to do! So, unless you plan to use this lens exclusively UW on your scuba trips (!) ... well ...I do not see much motivation in going through the assemble disassemble madness.

Overall the Nauticam housing is very very nice except for:
1) the triggering button should have a longer run to better weigh the prefocus and final shot. The Olympus housing seemed better in this regard.
2) a bit too negative UW even with the Acrylic port (and I use ULCS arms...)
3) I do not undersatnd why they use a sled than needs to be mounted on the camera prior to fitting into the housing. An extra step that makes it harder to install/uninstall the camera.

The OM-D camera is a great step forward with respect to the EPL1!

Thanks Nudi,
Good information to have. . .
I wonder how well the 12-50 zoom would work behind a semi-dome port like the 10Bar housing uses? That way you could get the full benfit of 12mm and only lose a little bit of power at the macro end due to the curved glass, and there's people out there making swing/flip diopters for dome ports so you could get a nice Subsee plus 5 in there to help things out?
I'm also wondering how much battery power the Nauticam gearing is using if it is so slow and tight as everyone has reported?
Bruce

Does anyone know how to activate the zoom of the 12-50mm from the camera body? I understand that you can select either 12mm or 50mm on the camera body without zooming the lens. Can someone tell me how to access this feature? Also, can you access the macro mode of the lens as well?

Thanks, Guy

just tried today... you have to choose the UW mode for one of the selectable buttons (like Fn1 or Fn2 or movie button) and then you can use it to switch from 12mm to 50mm by pressing repetitively on it. If you press over a couple of seconds goes back to the original mode... Nice feature but it does not seem to allow you to go into macro...:(

i've used the 12-50mm with EPL-1 in 10bar semi dome port' and possible to adjust all focal lenght.

View attachment 130765
Toilet tissue is n
ot an elegance way to install the zoom ring; but it work, but not for the macro button.
The AF is easy and fast, but at max. 50mm not able to focus, don’t know why. 12 mm is not wide.

View attachment 130766View attachment 130767

at 33mm, natural light
View attachment 130768

For macro, I have to attach the Inon UCL 165M67.
View attachment 130769View attachment 130771View attachment 130772

i've used the 12-50mm with EPL-1 in 10bar semi dome port' and possible to adjust all focal lenght.

View attachment 130765
Toilet tissue is n
ot an elegance way to install the zoom ring; but it work, but not for the macro button.
The AF is easy and fast, but at max. 50mm not able to focus, don’t know why. 12 mm is not wide.

Wisnu,

Thanks for the photos (very nice!). Clearly the 10bar zoom gear is placed very differently the Oly/Nauticam setup (where the zoom gear control is next to the camera body). I guess this allows much greater flexibility.

Nir

---------- Post Merged at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:54 AM ----------

just tried today... you have to choose the UW mode for one of the selectable buttons (like Fn1 or Fn2 or movie button) and then you can use it to switch from 12mm to 50mm by pressing repetitively on it. If you press over a couple of seconds goes back to the original mode... Nice feature but it does not seem to allow you to go into macro...:(

AFAIK this functionality works only on the OM-D (maybe also on the new E-PL5). On my E-PL3 with latest firmware, changing the UW mode does not change the 12-50 zoom (I tried with the lens set on E-Zoom mode). Anyone knows whether there is a trick to make it work?

---------- Post Merged at 02:03 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Nudi,

Thanks for the detailed info.

I wanted to report my experience on upgrading from EPL1 to OM-5 that relates to the search for a flexible lens + port solution to allow some versatile shooting in unknown waters...

[...]

Overall the Nauticam housing is very very nice except for:
1) the triggering button should have a longer run to better weigh the prefocus and final shot. The Olympus housing seemed better in this regard.
2) a bit too negative UW even with the Acrylic port (and I use ULCS arms...)
3) I do not undersatnd why they use a sled than needs to be mounted on the camera prior to fitting into the housing. An extra step that makes it harder to install/uninstall the camera.

The OM-D camera is a great step forward with respect to the EPL1!

Regarding your issues:

1. I think you get used to it pretty quickly

2. I added floats on the UCLS arms and it mostly solves the problem with dome port. When using flat port + subsee diopter I also added a StiX port float-ring.

3. The sled allows for exact positioning of the camera without requiring the housing door to press it against the housing body. I think this a better way of doing it. The sled is annoying since it blocks the battery/card door. I'd wish they had a sled that did not require dismounting when replacing battery.

Cheers

Nir

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom