Port Hardy To Bella Bella Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gearbow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi I recently got invited on a friends boat. (Docked probably won't be sailing but sleep on the sail boat) Actually it is my wife's best friend and her husband. Very nice people and they happen to be working and living on their sail boat north of Porty Hardy B.C. in a place called Bella Bella. My wife and her friend always do something together in the end of august, September and when i found out where they were going i kind of invited myself along as well.

I know Port hardy is a meca of diving but what about Bella Bella? Dive operators or dive buddy I could hook up with in the area?

Bella Bella is a very small First Nations community of around 1400 people, and it's 100 miles from Port Hardy. I don't think there are any dive shops there, and Port Hardy has the two fixed operators in Browning Pass Hideaway and God's Pocket. There used to be a liveaboard up there, but it was sold off. Not sure if there are active divers there or not, but it's a very isolated place so I wouldn't count on it.

Was through there four years ago, took the ferry from Bella Coola to Hardy, and spent a day at Bella Bella. I'm sure there is tons of great diving there, but if you want to do it you will need to bring your own boat and compressor. It will be real exploration, going where nobody has gone before! The liveaboard was the Nautilus Swell, you might ask her old crew for advice if you can find them.
If you can get to Ocean Falls that's worth seeing, but the other villages in the area are not much.

You could go over to God's Pocket and inquire (Hurst Is.). Bill and Annie Weeks have operated it for years and the recent Cap. Tim from the Swell is working there now. They could probably fill tanks for you also. It's about a 30" fast boat from Pt. Hardy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom