Portable CO monitor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the updates. I didn't think you'd have out of date info with the new product listing, but it did look odd. Sounds good. :thumb:

Patti & Don,

I've been following this thread and earlier ones on this topic for a good while. I appreciate the effort that has gone into developing this product and the comments from potential users. This is what makes SB so great.

A few questions for Patti:

1. Is the sensor user replaceable? If not, what is the cost to have it done by Analox? If it is replaceable by the user, does the analyzer need to be returned to Analox for calibration? Costs??

2. It seems that the sensor will die around the time that the unit needs to be recalibrated (18-24 months). Does Analox offer a service to replace the sensor and recalibrate at one time. This would be my preference if it is offered by Analox.

3. I assume that the sensor dies due to oxidation of the sensing head/wire. If so, if I were to keep the sensor in an inert environment, would that extend its life? I'm thinking of a sealed bag with nitrogen when I'm not using it.

4. What is the nominal range of the sensor installed in the unit. I'm not asking for the software limited range, but the actual range that the sensor is designed to operate in. If it's 0-500 ppm and were trying to detect CO at less than 5 ppm, that's 1% of the operating range and may be difficult and error-prone. If it's 0-100 ppm, we're in much better shape to detect small amounts of CO.

5. Is there any way that the unit tells the user that the sensor needs replacing or is it just a time thing?

If any of these questions have already been answered, I apologize.

Harry

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the questions..all good ones:
1. Is the sensor user replaceable? If not, what is the cost to have it done by Analox? If it is replaceable by the user, does the analyzer need to be returned to Analox for calibration? Costs??

A: The sensor and batteries are completely user replaceable. The analyzer does not need to be returned to Analox for Calibration, however, we will offer a calibraterion service for those who do not wish to purchase cal gas. The unit comes with a 12 month factory calibration.

2. It seems that the sensor will die around the time that the unit needs to be recalibrated (18-24 months). Does Analox offer a service to replace the sensor and recalibrate at one time. This would be my preference if it is offered by Analox.

A: Great suggestion..let me see what kind of package I can put together!

3. I assume that the sensor dies due to oxidation of the sensing head/wire. If so, if I were to keep the sensor in an inert environment, would that extend its life? I'm thinking of a sealed bag with nitrogen when I'm not using it.

A: We get this question often with our Oxygen sensors. The best answer is to say that it can't hurt! It may extend the sensor life slightly beyond the expected 18 months, however we cannot guarantee it.

4. What is the nominal range of the sensor installed in the unit. I'm not asking for the software limited range, but the actual range that the sensor is designed to operate in. If it's 0-500 ppm and were trying to detect CO at less than 5 ppm, that's 1% of the operating range and may be difficult and error-prone. If it's 0-100 ppm, we're in much better shape to detect small amounts of CO.

A: It is 0-100 ppm CO. Just ran 20ppm over my demo unit and the alarm sounded at 10 ppm and the reading stabilized spot on at 20 ppm.

5. Is there any way that the unit tells the user that the sensor needs replacing or is it just a time thing?

A: More of a time thing...unlike our O2 sensors which gradually wear down, a CO sensor tends to go from working to not with very little change in between.

Patti,

On page 5 of the manual posted on your web site: "Calibration gases can be sourced from Analox."

Do you have any details on this?

Concentration
Cost
Availability
Can the unit be mated directly to your cal gas bottle without any additional equipment? If not, what is required and cost?

Thanks.

Harry

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your post. 20ppm CO in Nitrogen in a 17 ltr can. Regulator set for .5 Liters per minute and 2 feet of tygon tubing. $261.67. Now this being said, we are in the analyzer business, not the certified cal gas business... a Google search for Certified Calibration Gas may indeed get you a local source with a bit more attractive pricing. :wink:

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your post. 20ppm CO in Nitrogen in a 17 ltr can. Regulator set for .5 Liters per minute and 2 feet of tygon tubing. $261.67. Now this being said, we are in the analyzer business, not the certified cal gas business... a Google search for Certified Calibration Gas may indeed get you a local source with a bit more attractive pricing. :wink:

Patti,

Agree that is a bit steep for a cal unit.

Any more thoughts on Item # 2 in your 6/23/10 post above. I just want to insure that I'll be able to get cal and sensor replacement service at a reasonable price before I purchase the unit, which I have every intention of doing before my next dive trip.

Harry

Patti,

I once again tried to order online; after completing all of the data entry, agreeing to terms, went to submit payment page. Got a "failure" notice. Wasted time, and information.

Do we order from Britain, or USA?

The Analox site indicated a charge of 12.00 for Royal Postage??

Hi Harry, Sorry I missed that... The replacement sensor will be $130.00 and yes we will offer a cal service at $49.00. That way you never have to buy cal gas or a regulator.

Hi Tonka97... Our website is supposed to pick up your IP address and determine your location in the world (for proper currency and shipping quotes). Apparently it got your location crossed. It was nice to speak to you on the phone and your Portable CO is on its way to you!

Thanks Patti, I should have just telephoned you in the beginning!

I'm looking forward to receiving my CO monitor, and am of the mind that EVERY diver should have access to one, before descending to depth and breathing an uncertain air mixture, ESPECIALLY at resorts.

Have I missed something here ??? I cannot find this product anywhere on Analox's website nor at any dive equipment retailers and all the links on here to said item are broken ???

Has the product been withdrawn from sale ???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom