Portage Quarry "Legends of Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClevelandDiver:
Are you going to be diving a double hose for the event?

Me? Um, no, I don't have one. It would be neat to be able to try one, though.

Thanks all for the info!

We had a great time at Wazee, scooters were everywhere, Phoenix Aqua Masters were being tested, Dan had a number of cool masks and neat stuff and Ryan Spence has the most amazing Cousteu gear and he put some of it in the water. Ryan is amazing and probably at this point may well be one of the top experts in the world on Cousteu diving gear and it's history. Where could you see a Cousteu expert outfitted in a Cousteu brest mounted Cousteu diving unit --in the water-----in actual use----except at the Wazee event and thanks to Dan and VSS. N

Sounds neat, Nemrod.

It seems from the temps at Portage that you could get away with a 3 mil wetsuit. What do you guys think? What do most people wear there at this time of year?

Nemrod:
We had a great time at Wazee, scooters were everywhere, Phoenix Aqua Masters were being tested, Dan had a number of cool masks and neat stuff and Ryan Spence has the most amazing Cousteu gear and he put some of it in the water. Ryan is amazing and probably at this point may well be one of the top experts in the world on Cousteu diving gear and it's history. Where could you see a Cousteu expert outfitted in a Cousteu brest mounted Cousteu diving unit --in the water-----in actual use----except at the Wazee event and thanks to Dan and VSS. N

I saw some pictures posted on VDH, it looks like the exhaust bubbles come out the back of that unit like some kind of jet pack. Did anybody get underwater pictures of it in use?

Thatcher B:
The "jetpack"attaches to your back and its like a DPV. there on scuba.com they cost bout 1500 bucks
Nemrod... I wish you had that magical ability here like the one you used on VDH.

fishoboy, you lost me, I am confused.

Cleaveland, the "jetpack" is not a jetpack. It is a diving unit that is an exact reproduction of the ones used by the Cousteu divers. It contains a set of triple tanks and the breast plate contains a breast/front mounted single stage Mistral regulator. The exhaust looking things are fake. Yep, Cousteu, as anyone who has watched all of his films knows, he was a showman as well as a filmaker and scientist. He understood the visual impact of his diving equipments and strived to make things look exciting and futuristic. There is no propulsion devices in the pack nor were there any of Cousteu's units and you cannot buy one from scuba.com because the one Ryan Spence demonstrated in the water was built by himself from molds constructed by himself from the actual Cousteu units as I understand and therefore it is the only one in the world that is currently being used and functional.

N

Nemrod:
fishoboy, you lost me, I am confused.

Cleaveland, the "jetpack" is not a jetpack. It is a diving unit that is an exact reproduction of the ones used by the Cousteu divers. It contains a set of triple tanks and the breast plate contains a breast/front mounted single stage Mistral regulator. The exhaust looking things are fake. Yep, Cousteu, as anyone who has watched all of his films knows, he was a showman as well as a filmaker and scientist. He understood the visual impact of his diving equipments and strived to make things look exciting and futuristic. There is no propulsion devices in the pack nor were there any of Cousteu's units and you cannot buy one from scuba.com because the one Ryan Spence demonstrated in the water was built by himself from molds constructed by himself from the actual Cousteu units as I understand and therefore it is the only one in the world that is currently being used and functional.

N

I didn't mean jet pack in the functional sense, just the visual. It would be cool if he routed the exhaust from the double hose out the back of the shell though. Very impressive work on Ryan's part, hope he brings it to portage.

ClevelandDiver:
I didn't mean jet pack in the functional sense, just the visual. It would be cool if he routed the exhaust from the double hose out the back of the shell though. Very impressive work on Ryan's part, hope he brings it to portage.

I believe that it was Cousteau who first realized that you need to have the exhaust near the sensing diaphragm. If the exhaust gets higher than the intake diaphragm, the differential pressure will cause a free flow (and it may be obvious, but that is why double hoses have two hoses).

Yeah... Ryan does great work.

Back
Top Bottom