Portage Quarry "Legends of Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis H:
I believe that it was Cousteau who first realized that you need to have the exhaust near the sensing diaphragm. If the exhaust gets higher than the intake diaphragm, the differential pressure will cause a free flow (and it may be obvious, but that is why double hoses have two hoses).

Yeah... Ryan does great work.

Oh yeah, forgot about the free flow potential in double hoses due to hose postion.

So where do the exhaust bubbles stream out on a chest mounted unit? Is there some directional channel to keep them from rolling up into your face?

"Oh yeah, forgot about the free flow potential in double hoses due to hose postion.
So where do the exhaust bubbles stream out on a chest mounted unit? Is there some directional channel to keep them from rolling up into your face?"

Yes, according to Ryan Spence, the exhaust bubbles are intended to flow up channels in the breast plate and then exhaust out of small holes along the top of the pack. It seems to do exactly that in use. It is more diffucult to explain than it really is unless of course you try to build one. Unfortuanetly I don't think Ryan will be at Portage but we can always hope and wish. N

Well, this was fun. We did not come anywhere near close to setting a World Record as they hoped, so we went in early to enjoy the vis. :wink:

Alec's display and presentation went very well. Lots of Sea Hunt fanatics and vintage divers.

It was nice meeting you, Nemrod. Hope you venture out towards Brockville someday - you'll probably enjoy it.

Nice meeting Jerry, JJ, and everyone else as well. Congrats to Tony, I believe, who won the trip for 2 to Belize! :)

Rob won the trip to Belize and Karl won the rebuilt round label Aquamaster double hose regulator. The regulator is for sale. Let me know if interested.

Whoa - been a long time since I thought about Portage Quarry. I did some of my first dives there in the 70's when I was going to BG. As I recall, there was an old silo down there along with a few old cars on the end near the road. Sixty feet or so to the bottom? Glad to hear it's still in business and attracting divers.

That's it, it was Rob that won the trip, sorry. I met so many people I couldn't remember all the names. I don't think I was introduced to Karl, but I can't be sure. Congrats too! :)

It was nice meeting you as well Ayisha. It is good to put a face with the names. The music speakers made conversing diffucult, lol, I am not really hard of hearing.

I also got to meet and dive with CleavelandDiver and even got a vintage wetsuit from him that may --may--just fit good enough to use--thanks.

Of course, meeting Dr. Miller was great fun also. He was kept pretty busy meeting all the various people.

Portage Quarry was actually a fun dive, not Cozumel or Cayman or the Keys but still a good time. If that place were closer I might get on first name basis with those tame fish that followed me all over begging for handouts.

N

I was the lucky winner of the trip. Woohoo. I will send post cards to everyone. Pretty cool as I have not been there before. I hope they are double hose friendly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom