Porteau Cove - Weird dive with seal and ling cod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Why every diver needs to carry a camera.

I was diving a small wreck at Porteau Cove near Vancouver today when my buddy Doug and I saw a seal shoot past and disappear into a porthole. As we swam forward to look into the porthole Doug spooked a large ling cod that swam off, but being more interested in the seal I didn't pay it much attention. I reached the porthole first and stuck my head inside to look for the seal. When I took my head out I looked up at Doug who had a very shocked look on his face. I thought he had maybe seen the seal but looking around couldn't spot it so stuck my head back into the porthole to take another look. Not finding the seal I looked up at Doug again who had the same stunned look in his eyes. Not seeing the seal I swam off and we continued the dive. When we got to shore Doug told me that while I was looking into the porthole the ling cod that he had spooked swam over to me and settled itself onto my back on top of my scuba tank. As I was peering into the hole I had a fifteen to twenty pound ling cod behind my head with its chin resting on my first stage and its tail sticking out past my tank onto my but. It stayed there until I swam off. I had my camera in hand waiting for a perfect seal shot while Doug was staring at a perfect photo unable to do anything but watch. I don't expect to ever see this behaviour again from a ling cod and am thinking now that it was probably trying to hide from the seal and blend in with me. It was a weird day.

You right it will probably never happen again, good one I wish I was there to see it for myself.

Oh wow, that's really neat. What a cool experience!

i did a night dive at porteau last night linger eggs everywhere. I made my friend touch one of the males in the centenial and it started chasing him i dont think i've laughed that hard underwater the look on his face was priceless. ooo and saw 3 octopus 2 small ones and one HUGE one

I cant tell you its super top secret :D i will give you some hints though the big one is close to a boat there is a medium sized one in a rock pile and another big one in a crack :wink: and little ones everywhere i swear i've seen at least 20 octopi at porteau. well good luck dont scare them off if you find them

ryan and i found a little guy under the wharf a while ago, hiding in a rock pile. but i havent dove under the wharf for quite some time though, but definitely was there. :)

Looks like CoW let the cat outta the bag theres a medium sized one usually under the second rock pile under the wharf

Was that the missing Ling? Just asking. :D

ryanmacneil8448:
Looks like CoW let the cat outta the bag theres a medium sized one usually under the second rock pile under the wharf

*whistles innocently*

I'm addicted to finding octopi and i HAVE to let others know where they are. :D Secret's out ryan!!! The octopi WILL be found. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom