Portugese man of war everywhere(upper keys)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Quick trip to Hen and Chickens
water temp 76
Viz 20 feet
1-2 foot seas
Dodging numerous man of wars on the surface

Attachments

• DBB14419-3FAF-4792-9383-B72D346931A9.jpeg
    DBB14419-3FAF-4792-9383-B72D346931A9.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 92
Wow, serious stuff! I've never seen a Portuguese Man O' War in the wild. Wondered what areas they were an issue in; didn't know the upper keys were one.

Love the hermit crab shot.

Wow, serious stuff! I've never seen a Portuguese Man O' War in the wild. Wondered what areas they were an issue in; didn't know the upper keys were one.

Plenty of them but on the plus side plenty of turtles

I've seen them washed up on the beach here in FL, but never seen one while in the water.

I've seen them washed up on the beach here in FL, but never seen one while in the water.
They r still everywhere

Any thoughts on what thickness wet suit is needed to protect against their stings? I would think a 3-mm would do it, but what about a Lycra dive skin, rash guard or similar?

Richard.

Any thoughts on what thickness wet suit is needed to protect against their stings? I would think a 3-mm would do it, but what about a Lycra dive skin, rash guard or similar?

Richard.
I'd still be concerned with exposure around your face. They only way around that is a ffm sealed over your tucked in/integrated hood.

Richard.
I've been zapped. Pain lasted a few hours. Worst kind imaginable. Rash for a few weeks after that. I was wearing a shorty. Stung me everywhere I had no neoprene. Luckily I was diving nearby my parent's house so I was able use up ALL of my mother's vinegar.

Heat applied directly to the area is better at neutralizing jelly stings than vinegar. I think it needs to be ~120°F. I'll look for the study in the meantime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom