Poseiden MK VI "Recreational Rebreather"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you gotta look at price the ISC pathfinder is ~$5500, and is not crippled by software. if you want to dive 10/50 at 30feet then go for it. You do not need a special battery and microprocessor to go to 200ft or mix, and it is build like a tank without injection molding and can use a radial for cheap sorb and uses the same loop and lungs as a meg..

Pathfinder uses the standard 3 cell voting logic instead of regulating eccr based on 1 cell with another cell as a safety check like the Poseidon. If you want a safety check on your cell readings do a dill flush at 100ft and you will have a PO2 of .84, ~.60 @60ft easy (air dil). I don't want a computer telling me what my P02 is or should be.. I just need a rock-solid display. If I have 3 cells I can figure that out and I got 2 others to finish a dive is something is amiss.

With the pathfinder you don't have handsets to unlock etc.. you can use a nitrox computer or a computer that has P02. Nitrox computer you say, yea.. you do a dive at 100 ft with PO2 of 1.2 you are at EAN30.. set your computer to EAN30.. go diving. If you have a PO2 computer you will get a bit more time. If you want an EAC cartridge, Shearwater, pink can.. call ISC and tell them.

If you are concerned with the 7K for the breather... you'll also need to consider the training/trip/travel costs as you'll likely spend as much on misc equipment, training etc. Set aside 12-15K

Don't consider price in any deciding factor.

Unless you just won lotto price will always be a deciding factor in every purchase you make.

But you are right about the other expenses that come in to play.
Not only is there the cost of the unit, but also the parts needed that are not included. eg tanks including and second O2/DIL tanks for quick change overs between dives, bailout ( and regs), back up computer etc etc.
Then there are the on going costs like O2, cells, sorb maintenance.

Some units are cheaper to own than others. Since the rEvo has its dual scrubber and virtually fully maintainable by the owner it is probably the cheapest to own.

Some units are cheaper to own than others. Since the rEvo has its dual scrubber and virtually fully maintainable by the owner it is probably the cheapest to own.

The iscan system in the pathfinder is made to be user maintainable. Since the pathfinder only needs 3 cells instead of 4 on eccr its already cheaper to maintain from the start.

I didn't take another look at the Discovery at BTS this year, but I did spend a long time going over it last year. It's got a lot of neat features (buddy PO2 display, removable dive log computer thing) but there are some design features that really limit it. Unless extend air cartridges have changed a lot, they are only good for 3.5-4 hours. That number should be shortened if you're in cold water, or using trimix dil, so you're looking at one long dive or two short ones. Second, unless this has been changed, there were no manual 0-2 or diluent add buttons, rather there are two solenoids for each (1 is a back up). Having one solenoid on my ccr is bad enough, and the thought of not being able to add 0-2 or diluent manually just scares me. Lastly, what the heck is a recreational rebreather for? Not scaring the fish is the only remotely valid reason I can think of to dive one at recreational depths/durations.

Adding dil is easy on a Disco - dump some gas from the loop, and inhale deep and hard, and the dil valve will add gas (Dil adds via the regulator on the mouthpiece - same as the BOV . . . ).

Can't help you with an O2 add though . . .

- Tim

Hi all. This is my first post here on the scubaboard. I am an open water instructor / technical diver that has gone over to the dark side and entered the world of rec rebreathers. I've been diving the MK6 for 3 months now. I love it, However it does need to be used as intended by the designers.

Just wondering what people think of this rebreather and how they feel about it being marketed to recreational (Non-Tech) divers.

Until they come with full breathing gas instrumentation (O2, CO2, N, He), you won't find me using a CCR of any kind.

flots.

Until they come with full breathing gas instrumentation (O2, CO2, N, He), you won't find me using a CCR of any kind.

flots.
Then that for you is probably a very wise decision. Everyone has to have their own risk/reward equation sorted out before they engage in any activity.

Adding dil is easy on a Disco - dump some gas from the loop, and inhale deep and hard, and the dil valve will add gas (Dil adds via the regulator on the mouthpiece - same as the BOV . . . ).

Can't help you with an O2 add though . . .

- Tim

Just out of curiosity (not to start an argument) When do you need it inject 02 with this unit?

Then that for you is probably a very wise decision. Everyone has to have their own risk/reward equation sorted out before they engage in any activity.

I think RBs are fascinating, however the current level of technology seems a little too "wild west" for my risk tolerance.

If they ever get to the point where I can have more-or-less the same confidence in my gas mixture as I do on OC, I'd be happy to use one.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom